Interpretation of correlator in 0+1 QFT

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding the equivalence between standard quantum mechanics (QM) and 0+1 quantum field theory (QFT). The focus is on the relationship between the correlator in QFT and the propagator in QM, and whether there is any direct relation between the two. Additionally, the individual is seeking help in interpreting the QFT correlator, particularly in the 0+1 scenario.
gamma5772
I don't seem to be able to fully wrap my head around the equivalence of standard QM and 0+1 QFT. In particular, I am having difficulty with the relationship between the correlator in QFT, [tex]<T\phi(t_1) \phi(t_2)>[/tex] and the propagator in QM, [tex]<x', t' |x,t>[/tex].

First of all, is there any relationship between the two?

Also, I just don't know how to interpret the QFT correlator, 0+1 or otherwise, so any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
gamma5772 said:
I don't seem to be able to fully wrap my head around the equivalence of standard QM and 0+1 QFT. In particular, I am having difficulty with the relationship between the correlator in QFT, [tex]<T\phi(t_1) \phi(t_2)>[/tex] and the propagator in QM, [tex]<x', t' |x,t>[/tex].

First of all, is there any relationship between the two?

Also, I just don't know how to interpret the QFT correlator, 0+1 or otherwise, so any help would be appreciated.

There is no direct relation. In QM, your [itex]\phi(t)[/itex] would be the position operator [itex]x(t)[/itex] in the Heisenberg picture.

This relationship is explained in Srednicki's QFT text (draft version available free at his web page).

1. What is a correlator in 0+1 QFT?

A correlator in 0+1 QFT (Quantum Field Theory) is a mathematical quantity used to describe the relationship between two or more fields in a quantum system. It is calculated using the equations of motion and can provide information about the interactions and dynamics of the system.

2. How is a correlator interpreted in 0+1 QFT?

The interpretation of a correlator in 0+1 QFT depends on the specific context and application. In general, it can provide insight into the behavior and properties of a quantum system, such as the strength of interactions between fields, the energy levels of the system, and the probability of certain outcomes.

3. What role does a correlator play in 0+1 QFT calculations?

Correlators play a crucial role in 0+1 QFT calculations as they allow us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of a quantum system. They are used to determine the amplitudes and probabilities of different events and can help us understand the dynamics of the system.

4. Can a correlator be directly measured in experiments?

No, correlators cannot be directly measured in experiments. They are theoretical quantities that are calculated using mathematical equations. However, the predictions and insights gained from correlators can be tested and verified through experiments and observations.

5. What factors can affect the interpretation of a correlator in 0+1 QFT?

The interpretation of a correlator in 0+1 QFT can be affected by various factors, such as the specific quantum system being studied, the interactions between fields, and the choice of mathematical equations and techniques used in the calculation. Additionally, the interpretation may also depend on the assumptions and approximations made in the model used for the calculation.