Interpretation of state created by the field in free QFT

In summary, QFT in Minkowski spacetime involves the construction of a Hilbert space using the Klein-Gordon field with mass m. This can be done by considering the positive mass shell and using a unitary representation of the Poincare group. Another way to construct the Hilbert space is through Fourier transformation. The interpretation of states in this theory is related to probability amplitudes for momentum. The field can also be expanded into positive and negative frequency plane waves, with the state being obtained by acting on the vacuum with the field. The interpretation of this state is still unclear, but it can be thought of as a modulation of the vacuum vector. QFT can be seen as a signal analysis for probability densities, with sampling functions
leo.
Let us consider QFT in Minkowski spacetime. Let ##\phi## be a Klein-Gordon field with mass ##m##. One way to construct the Hilbert space of this theory is to consider ##L^2(\Omega_m^+,d^3\mathbf{p}/p^0)## where ##\Omega_m^+## is the positive mass shell. This comes from the requirement that there be a unitary representation of the Poincare group as done in Weinberg's book.

To interpret a state here is simple: any ##\Phi(\mathbf{p})## is the probability amplitude for momentum, so that ##|\Phi(\mathbf{p})|^2## is the probability density of finding a single particle with momentum ##\mathbf{p}##.

There is a second construction related to this one by Fourier transformation. Given ##\Phi\in L^2(\Omega_m^+,d^3\mathbf{p}/p^0)## We can consider $$\psi(t,\mathbf{x})=\int_{\Omega_m^+} e^{i p_\mu x^\mu} \Phi(\mathbf{p}) \dfrac{d^3\mathbf{p}}{p^0}$$
If ##\mathfrak{F}## denotes the Fourier transform, then we get an equivalent space of states ##\mathcal{K}_m^+=\mathfrak{F}[L^2(\Omega_m^+,d^3\mathbf{p}/p^0)]##. Each such ##\psi\in\mathcal{K}_m^+## is a positive-frequency solution to the Klein-Gordon equation.

When we also expand the field into positive and negative frequency plane waves, it follows that ##\psi(t,\mathbf{x})= \phi(t,\mathbf{x})|0\rangle##. In other words, we get such a state by acting on the vacuum with the field.

But what is the interpretation of ##\psi(t,\mathbf{x})##? It doesn't seem a wavefunction because there's no position observable here. Then it also feels wrong to interpret ##|\psi(t,\mathbf{x})|^2## as probability amplitude at ##t## of locating a particle at ##\mathbf{x}##.

So while ##\Phi(\mathbf{p})## has a clear interpretation as momentum amplitude, what is the interpretation of ##\psi(t,\mathbf{x}) = \phi(t,\mathbf{x})|0\rangle##?

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
IMO, to combine both definitions and write ##\hat\phi_f=\int\hat\phi(t,\mathbf{x})f(t,\mathbf{x})\mathrm{d}t\mathrm{d}\mathbf{x}## (where I've put a ##\hat\ ## to indicate that your ##\phi(t,\mathbf{x})## is an operator-valued distribution; then ##\hat\phi_f## is an operator), which with different values of ##f(x)## acting on the vacuum vector will give you your Fourier transform field ##\Phi(\mathbf{p})=\hat\phi_{f_p}|V\rangle## or your ##\psi(t,\mathbf{x})=\hat\phi_{f_x}|V\rangle##. We can call ##f(x)## a sampling function because it tells us where we're making a measurement and how each place where the measurement is being made should be weighted. [I edited the equations in Red. It's clear from the discussion below, however, that you prefer to engage with the question you put above narrowly.]
Then one finds that for the adjoint operation, ##\hat\phi_f^\dagger=\hat\phi_{f^*}##, where ##f^*(x)## is the complex conjugate of the sampling function at ##x##, and for the two-point Vacuum Expectation Value of the free field, $$\langle V|\hat\phi_f^\dagger\hat\phi_g|V\rangle=(f,g)=\hbar\int\tilde f^*(k)\tilde g(k)2\pi\delta(k{\cdot}k{-}m^2)\theta(k_0)\frac{\mathrm{d}^4k}{(2\pi)^4}.$$ We note that ##(f,g)^*=(g,f)## and ##(f,f)\ge 0##, which makes ##(f,g)## a pre-inner product, the structure of which fixes the space-time properties of this free field theory. For the algebraic structure, for even powers, ##\langle V|\hat\phi_f^{2n}|V\rangle=\frac{(2n)!}{2^n n!}(f^*,f)^n##, and for odd powers ##\langle V|\hat\phi_f^{2n+1}|V\rangle=0##, which we can present neatly as a generating function as $$\langle V|\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\lambda\hat\phi_f}|V\rangle=\mathrm{e}^{-\lambda^2(f^*,f)/2}.$$ We find that the commutator can also be written neatly as ##[\hat\phi_f,\hat\phi_g]=(f^*,g)-(g^*,f)##. When ##f(x)## is real, so that ##f^*=f## and ##\hat\phi_f^\dagger=\hat\phi_{f^*}=\hat\phi_f## is self-adjoint, then ##\langle V|\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\lambda\hat\phi_f}|V\rangle=\mathrm{e}^{-\lambda^2(f,f)/2}## is a Gaussian characteristic function, which we can inverse Fourier transform to obtain a Gaussian probability density $$\langle V|\delta(\hat\phi_f-v)|V\rangle=\frac{\mathrm{e}^{-v^2/2(f,f)}}{\sqrt{2\pi(f,f)}}.$$ This Gaussian noise, with variance ##(f,f)##, proportional to Planck's constant, is different from thermal noise because it's Lorentz invariant.
To answer your question above, "what is the interpretation of ##\psi(t,\mathbf{x})##", I'll suggest straight out that we can call ##\hat\phi_g|V\rangle##, or ##\hat\phi_g^n|V\rangle##, or ##\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\lambda\hat\phi_g}|V\rangle##, or ..., a modulation of the vacuum vector ##|V\rangle##, and then justify it. Note that you don't mention objects such as ##\hat\phi_g^n|V\rangle## in your OP, but they are vitally important. Suppose we measure ##\hat\phi_f## in the first of these modulated states: the characteristic function works out to be $$\frac{\langle V|\hat\phi_g^\dagger\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\lambda\hat\phi_f}\hat\phi_g|V\rangle}{\langle V|\hat\phi_g^\dagger\hat\phi_g|V\rangle}=\left(1-\frac{(g,f)(f,g)}{(g,g)}\lambda^2\right)\mathrm{e}^{-\lambda^2(f,f)/2},$$ which results in a probability density $$\frac{\langle V|\hat\phi_g^\dagger\delta(\hat\phi_f-v)\hat\phi_g|V\rangle}{\langle V|\hat\phi_g^\dagger\hat\phi_g|V\rangle}=\left(\!1-\frac{(g,\!f)(f,\!g)}{(g,\!g)(f,\!f)}+\frac{(g,\!f)(f,\!g)}{(g,\!g)(f,\!f)}\frac{v^2}{(f,\!f)}\right)\!\frac{\mathrm{e}^{-v^2/2(f,f)}}{\sqrt{2\pi(f,\!f)}}.$$ What we're modulating is not a signal, but probability densities. When the overlap ##\frac{(g,f)(f,g)}{(g,g)(f,f)}## is 0 (its minimum is 0 and its maximum is 1), we just have the Gaussian probability density, but when the overlap is 1, which happens when ##f=g##, we have the probability density ##\frac{v^2}{(f,f)}\frac{\mathrm{e}^{-v^2/2(f,f)}}{\sqrt{2\pi(f,\!f)}}##, which has peaks to either side of ##v=0## and is zero at ##v=0##; the probability density changes smoothly as we move the sampling function ##f## nearer or further away from the modulation function ##g##, so that the overlap moves smoothly between 0 and 1. For higher powers ##\hat\phi_g^n##, giving us ##\hat\phi_g^n|V\rangle##, we obtain probability densities that are more elaborately modulated, so that there are higher powers of ##v##.
The Hilbert space vector ##\mathrm{e}^{-\mathrm{i}\hat\phi_g}|V\rangle## is especially important, because it results in a coherent state, for which we obtain the probability density $$\langle V|\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\hat\phi_g}\delta(\hat\phi_f{-}v)\mathrm{e}^{-\mathrm{i}\hat\phi_g}|V\rangle=\frac{\mathrm{e}^{-(v-2\omega(f,g))^2/2(f,f)}}{\sqrt{2\pi(f,f)}},$$ (where ##\omega(f,g)=\mathrm{i}[(f^*,g)-(g^*,f)]/2##, and we've simplified the equation by setting ##g^*=g##) which has the effect of moving the probability density around bodily, as one might say, introducing powers of ##v## only inside the exponential.
I hope the above is understandable, but the take-home story is that one way we can think of QFT is as a kind of signal analysis for probability densities. What I've called a sampling function above is similar in function to what is called a window function in signal analysis. That makes a simple-minded kind of sense insofar as all the data that comes out of an experimental apparatus comes into the computers that record all the data as electrical or optical signals. I can give you some more equations, for squeezed states, say, and for thermal states, and there can be other things to say that would be almost impossible to write down or decode if we tried to present them in the kind of book formalism you used for your OP, but for now I'll assume you're bored already.

Last edited:
leo. said:
When we also expand the field into positive and negative frequency plane waves, it follows that ##\psi(t,\mathbf{x})= \phi(t,\mathbf{x})|0\rangle##. In other words, we get such a state by acting on the vacuum with the field.

But what is the interpretation of ##\psi(t,\mathbf{x})##? It doesn't seem a wavefunction because there's no position observable here. Then it also feels wrong to interpret ##|\psi(t,\mathbf{x})|^2## as probability amplitude at ##t## of locating a particle at ##\mathbf{x}##.

So while ##\Phi(\mathbf{p})## has a clear interpretation as momentum amplitude, what is the interpretation of ##\psi(t,\mathbf{x}) = \phi(t,\mathbf{x})|0\rangle##?
It is a single-particle state, the same that you would get from the Klein-Gordon equation in the single-particle (nonfield) picture. It is well-known to suffer from interpretational problems (wrong speeds, Zitterbewegung, etc.). To get a probability interpretation you need to consider an additional Foldy-Wouthuisen transformation which makes the Newton-Wigner position operator diagonal!

Likes dextercioby
A. Neumaier said:
It is a single-particle state, the same that you would get from the Klein-Gordon equation in the single-particle (nonfield) picture. It is well-known to suffer from interpretational problems (wrong speeds, Zitterbewegung, etc.). To get a probability interpretation you need to consider an additional Foldy-Wouthuisen transformation which makes the Newton-Wigner position operator diagonal!

So in the end, ##\psi(t,\mathbf{x})## can be seen as the free evolution - with the Klein-Gordon equation - of a single particle in the initial state ##\psi(0,\mathbf{x})## as one would do with relativistic quantum mechanics without fields?

As you say this has a few interpretational problems. Also, I admit I have no experience with the Newton-Wigner position operator, but AFAIK it also has a fews problems, is it right?

In that case, it seems in the end it is better to just think of ##\psi(t,\mathbf{x})## as just encoding the momentum amplitude through a Fourier transform.

leo. said:
it seems in the end it is better to just think of ψ(t,x) as just encoding the momentum amplitude through a Fourier transform.
Yes. Indeed, this works also for photons, which can have well-defined momentum but can be proved not to have a good position operator.

Likes vanhees71 and Peter Morgan
leo. said:
Anything that satisfies the axioms of probability, that is ##0\le p_k \le 1## and ##\sum_k p_k =1##, can, in principle, be a probability under appropriate circumstances. In quantum mechanics, the "appropriate circumstances" means appropriate measurement procedure. For generalized (POVM) quantum measurements, a measurement does not need to be a measurement of an "observable". So your quantity above can indeed be a probability amplitude under appropriate measurement conditions, despite the fact that there is no "position observable".

For an introduction to generalized quantum measurements see e.g. Sec. 3.6 of https://arxiv.org/abs/1805.11965

1. What is the state created by the field in free quantum field theory (QFT)?

The state created by the field in free QFT is a quantum state that describes the distribution of particles and their properties in a particular region of space. It is created by the action of the field operator on the vacuum state, and can be represented by a wave function or a state vector.

2. How is the state created by the field different from the vacuum state?

The vacuum state is the state with no particles present, while the state created by the field contains a non-zero number of particles. The vacuum state is the lowest energy state, while the state created by the field has a higher energy due to the presence of particles.

3. Can the state created by the field change over time?

Yes, the state created by the field can change over time. This is because the field is a dynamic entity that evolves according to the laws of quantum mechanics. The particles in the state can also interact with each other, leading to changes in their properties and distribution.

4. How is the state created by the field related to the concept of quantization?

The state created by the field is a result of the process of quantization, which is the process of converting a classical field into a quantum field. In this process, the field is treated as an operator and the state is described by a wave function or state vector, rather than a classical field function.

5. What is the significance of the state created by the field in QFT?

The state created by the field is a fundamental concept in QFT, as it allows us to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions in a quantum field. It also serves as the starting point for calculations and predictions in QFT, making it a crucial aspect of the theory.