Intersection with empty index set

In summary, the intersection of all sets in a collection indexed by an empty set is equal to the universal set. This can be proven by considering the definition of intersection and using DeMorgan's Laws. Furthermore, in ZF set theory, an empty intersection can be taken as the class of all sets.
mathboy
If I is empty, and the collection of sets {A_i} is indexed by I, then the intersection of all the A_i is equal to the universal set.

Can someone explain why? Or better yet, give a proof?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here's my attempt at a proof:

Suppose I is empty. Let S be the universal set. Let x be in S. Then it is vacuously true that for all i in I (it is false that i is in I!), x belongs to A_i. Thus x belongs to the intersection of all the A_i. Hence the intersection of all the A_i equals S.

Correct?

And here's my proof attempt that U (A_i) = empty, if I is empty:

Suppose there exists x in U (A_i). Then there exists i in I such that x belongs A_i. But I is empty, so no such i exists. This contradiction means that no such x exists. Thus U (A_i) = empty. Correct? I can't find a proof anywhere.

Last edited:
mathboy said:
Here's my attempt at a proof:

Suppose I is empty. Let S be the universal set. Let x be in S. Then it is vacuously true that for all i in I (it is false that i is in I!), x belongs to A_i. Thus x belongs to the intersection of all the A_i. Hence the intersection of all the A_i equals S.

Correct?And here's my proof attempt that U (A_i) = empty, if I is empty:

Suppose there exists x in U (A_i). Then there exists i in I such that x belongs A_i. But I is empty, so no such i exists. This contradiction means that no such x exists. Thus U (A_i) = empty. Correct? I can't find a proof anywhere.

a for all statement is not an implication statement. i think it doesn't work that way. what book is this from?

Last edited:
Ok, let's start with U (A_i) = empty, where I is empty (I gave a proof above).

By DeMorgan's Laws,
intersection (A_i) = S - U (S-A_i) = S - empty = S.

Is this a better proof? I still think my first proof may be correct.

Last edited:
mathboy said:
This looks right to me.

EDIT: I guess I assumed you were talking about ZFC... What theory are you talking about in particular?

OLD:

Well, if you define the intersection to be "the set of all things in all A_i", then intersection may not be well-defined (i.e., you're defining something that really can't exist). In particular, the comprehension axiom would require you to fix some A_j in the family {A_i} in order to be able to show that the set you call the intersection actually exists.

If you took as an axiom that "the set of all things in all A_i" exists, you'd immediately get a Russell paradox as the OP mentioned.

The book that I studied these topics from is Enderton's "Elements of Set Theory".

Last edited:
The opening poster sounded like he was talking about working in a fixed universe of discourse.

Incidentally, even in ZF, you can take an empty intersection; it would simply be the (proper) class of all sets.

That's interesting. How do you define the intersection then, in ZF? The resources that I've learned from define the intersection of a set to be the set given by the comprehension axiom. Are you specifically defining the empty intersection to be the class of all sets?

What is an intersection with an empty index set?

An intersection with an empty index set is a mathematical operation where the common elements between two or more sets are determined. However, in this case, the index set, which is used to identify the elements in the sets, is empty.

Why is an empty index set used in intersection?

An empty index set is used in intersection to indicate that there are no elements in common between the sets being compared. This can be useful in certain mathematical proofs and logical proofs.

What is the result of an intersection with an empty index set?

The result of an intersection with an empty index set is an empty set. This is because there are no common elements between the sets being compared.

Can an intersection with an empty index set be performed on any type of set?

Yes, an intersection with an empty index set can be performed on any type of set, including numerical sets, geometric sets, and sets containing objects or symbols. The concept of an empty index set is applicable to all types of sets.

Is an intersection with an empty index set always equal to an empty set?

Yes, an intersection with an empty index set is always equal to an empty set. This is because there are no common elements between the sets being compared, and an empty index set indicates that there are no elements to compare.