1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intertial mass and determining the value of gamma

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not a problem I was assigned, I am just trying to figure out how I could prove it to myself.

Basically, I am just wondering WHY the gamma value for relativistic momentum takes the form that it does, namely (1-u^2/c^2)^-.5

I've tried to prove this to myself a few times and I just cannot figure out how to do it. I am not sure if this is above my skill level and that is why I can't do it, as it was not addressed in my book nor was it addressed in my lecture. I tried to follow the same basic argument I used to show myself the value of gamma in the lorentz transformation, I just cannot figure out why the v^2 changes to u^2.

Even a qualitative answer would be helpful here.

Thanks a lot.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What are v and u in your derivation? That should be the same - the relative velocity between the two reference frames.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook