Intertial mass and determining the value of gamma

In summary, the student is trying to understand the formula for relativistic momentum and why it takes the form of (1-u^2/c^2)^-0.5. They have attempted to prove it to themselves but have not been successful and are looking for a qualitative explanation. The student is also confused about the use of v^2 and u^2 in the derivation.
daselocution

Homework Statement

This is not a problem I was assigned, I am just trying to figure out how I could prove it to myself.

Basically, I am just wondering WHY the gamma value for relativistic momentum takes the form that it does, namely (1-u^2/c^2)^-.5

I've tried to prove this to myself a few times and I just cannot figure out how to do it. I am not sure if this is above my skill level and that is why I can't do it, as it was not addressed in my book nor was it addressed in my lecture. I tried to follow the same basic argument I used to show myself the value of gamma in the lorentz transformation, I just cannot figure out why the v^2 changes to u^2.

Even a qualitative answer would be helpful here.

Thanks a lot.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I just cannot figure out why the v^2 changes to u^2.
What are v and u in your derivation? That should be the same - the relative velocity between the two reference frames.

1. What is inertial mass?

Inertial mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its motion. It is commonly referred to as the "quantity of matter" an object possesses.

2. How is inertial mass different from gravitational mass?

Inertial mass and gravitational mass are two different quantities, but they are always found to be equal. Gravitational mass is a measure of an object's response to the force of gravity, while inertial mass is a measure of its response to an applied force.

3. What is the significance of determining the value of gamma?

The value of gamma (γ) is a fundamental constant in physics that appears in various equations related to relativity and the behavior of matter. It is used to calculate time dilation, length contraction, and other effects observed in high-speed objects.

4. How is the value of gamma determined?

The value of gamma is determined through experiments and observations. One method is to measure the ratio of an object's inertial mass to its gravitational mass. This ratio should always be equal to γ, regardless of the object's mass or the strength of the gravitational field.

5. Why is it important to accurately determine the value of gamma?

The value of gamma is crucial in understanding the behavior of matter at high speeds and in extreme gravitational conditions. It is also used in many practical applications, such as in GPS systems and particle accelerators. Therefore, obtaining an accurate value is essential for advancing our understanding of the universe and for technological advancements.