Intro course on different types of chemical families

In summary, a student in Grade 10 is seeking guidance for studying advanced Chemistry for Grade 11. They mention having an introductory course in Grade 10 which covered chemical families, the periodic table, and balancing equations. They are advised to read a general chemistry textbook, specifically "Principles of Chemistry" by Atkins, and to practice problems on websites like Physics Forums.
StupidGenius
Hello Physics forums!
Im currently in Grade 10 learning the intro course on Chemistry. Can someone lead me to the right direction if I want to advance study for Grade 11 Chem? Please and thank you! :biggrin:

EDIT:
BTW Grade 10 Chem was just an intro course on different types of chemical families, a simple lecture on the periodic table, and it was mostly around balancing equations. Easy Stuff!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Read any standard general chemistry text and practice the problems for instance the one authored by Raymond Chang . Answer some chemistry problems here on physicsforums when the school season is happening again.

Thank you

genius: Look up this text, atkins, principles of chemistry. It is the first book I used when entering chem engineering.

Thank you! And Now I am headed to the library :D

1. What are the main chemical families?

The main chemical families are the alkali metals, alkaline earth metals, transition metals, halogens, and noble gases.

2. How are the chemical families classified?

Chemical families are classified based on their similar chemical and physical properties, as well as their electron configuration.

3. What are the properties of alkali metals?

Alkali metals are highly reactive, soft, and have low melting and boiling points. They also have one valence electron, making them highly reactive in chemical reactions.

4. What are the characteristics of halogens?

Halogens are highly reactive nonmetals, with seven valence electrons. They have low melting and boiling points, and can form diatomic molecules in their elemental form.

5. How do transition metals differ from other chemical families?

Transition metals have unique properties such as variable oxidation states and the ability to form colored compounds. They also have a partially filled d orbital, which allows them to form complex compounds.