[Intro Dynamics] How to obtain v(t) from v(r) in 3D?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Leo Liu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Dynamics
In summary, the conversation discusses the steps for obtaining velocity in terms of time in 1D, and questions whether it is possible to obtain velocity as a function of position. The formula for time is also mentioned, which uses the particle's trajectory and velocity as functions of l.
Leo Liu
Homework Statement
Conceptual question
Relevant Equations
We know that in 1D, we can perform the following steps to obtain velocity in terms of time if the velocity is a function of position:
$$v=f(x)$$
$$dt=\frac{dx}{v}$$
$$t_2-t_1=\int_{x_1}^{x_2}\frac{dx}{v}$$
$$x(t)\rightarrow v(t)$$

But I wonder if it is possible to obtain ##\vec v(t)## from ##\vec v(\vec r)##? Does it even make sense to do something like $$\Delta t=\int_{r_{xi}}^{r_{xf}} \frac{d r_{x}}{v(r_x,r_y,r_z)}$$?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for time
[tex]t_{01}=\int_{l_0}^{l_1} \frac{dl}{v(l)}[/tex]
where l is 2d or 3d trajectory of the particle whose position and speed are defined as function of l , would be of your interest.

1. How do I calculate the velocity in 3D using position data?

To obtain the velocity in 3D from position data, you can use the formula v(t) = ∆r/∆t, where ∆r is the change in position and ∆t is the change in time. This will give you the average velocity over a specific time interval.

2. Can I use the same method to calculate velocity in 3D as in 2D?

Yes, the formula for calculating velocity in 3D is the same as in 2D. However, in 3D, you will need to consider the change in position in all three dimensions (x, y, and z) instead of just two dimensions (x and y).

3. What if I only have position data at specific time intervals?

If you only have position data at specific time intervals, you can still calculate the velocity in 3D by using the formula v(t) = (∆r/∆t) * (1/∆t), where ∆r is the change in position and ∆t is the time interval between the two data points.

4. Is there a way to obtain instantaneous velocity in 3D?

Yes, to obtain instantaneous velocity in 3D, you will need to take the derivative of the position function with respect to time. This will give you the velocity at a specific point in time.

5. Can I use this method to calculate velocity in any direction?

Yes, this method can be used to calculate velocity in any direction in 3D. You will just need to consider the change in position in that specific direction when using the formula v(t) = ∆r/∆t.