Intro Physics distance-to-a-stop

In summary, the reaction time of an average automobile driver is 0.700 seconds. If the car can slow down with an acceleration of 12.0 ft/s^2, the total distance covered in coming to a stop from an initial velocity of 15.0 mi/h is 21.34 meters. The equations used were v=(x-x0)/t and v^2=v0^2 + 2a(x-x0). The correct conversion for 12 feet is 3.66 meters.
maff is tuff

Homework Statement

The "reaction time" of the average automobile driver is about 0.700 s. (The reaction time is the interval between the perception of a signal to stop and the application of the brakes.) If an automobile can slow down with an acceleration of 12.0 ft/s^2, compute the total distance covered in coming to a stop after a signal is observed from an initial velocity of 15.0 mi/h. Give your answer in meters.

Homework Equations

v=(x-x0)/t

v^2=v0^2 + 2a(x-x0)

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is attached below. This is one of many attempts and I still am not getting the correct answer. I feel this attempt may be the closest (at least in concept) out of all of them. Thanks in advance for all the help :)

Attachments

• Problem 2.38 reaction time.pdf
    120.5 KB · Views: 193
Physics news on Phys.org
I noticed that you converted your units. Perhaps they wanted the answer in feet or miles? I can't see any errors from brief inspection.

Yeah it is online homework. The space provided looks like this:

After the answer box where I type my answer in, it has an "m" after it.

So I'm guessing the "m" means meters right? I've always seen meters as m and miles as mi.

check your acceleration conversion, you think 12 feet is 365.76m?

You're right that doesn't make sense. I think I forgot to divide by 100. It should be 12ft = 3.66 m

It's scary because I did that conversion over three times and apparently forgot to divide by 100 every time.

Thanks for the catch

1. How is distance-to-a-stop measured in Intro Physics?

In Intro Physics, distance-to-a-stop is measured in units of length, such as meters or feet. It is the total distance traveled by an object when it comes to a complete stop.

2. What factors affect the distance-to-a-stop of an object?

The distance-to-a-stop of an object is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the object, the mass of the object, and any external forces acting on the object, such as friction.

3. Is there a formula for calculating distance-to-a-stop in Intro Physics?

Yes, the formula for calculating distance-to-a-stop in Intro Physics is d = v2 / (2*a), where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration.

4. Can distance-to-a-stop be negative in Intro Physics?

No, distance-to-a-stop cannot be negative in Intro Physics. It is always a positive value, as it represents the total distance traveled by an object before coming to a complete stop.

5. How does distance-to-a-stop relate to other concepts in Intro Physics?

Distance-to-a-stop is closely related to other concepts in Intro Physics, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It is also a key component in understanding the laws of motion and how objects move and come to a stop.