1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Quantum Course Fourier Analysis

1. Sep 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using ultra-short laser pulses, it is possible to probe the reaction dynamics of many chemical reactions, such as A+BC->(ABC)*->AB+C. This worksheet estimates some of the parameters necessary to do this.

(a) If the energy available to each final states species is roughly E~0.1eV, find the typical final velocities of the end products. Assume, for example, a molecule with atomic weight of 40. Show that these velocities are typically of the order v~.01A/fs where 1fs=10^-15s. If reactions cease to occur when the species are more than a few bond lengths away, say 2-4A, estimate the total time for such a chemical reaction in femtoseconds.

There are additional parts b-f, but I think if I can get a figured out, I might can manage the rest.

2. Relevant equations
    I am not sure. The Fourier transform is probably relevant since that is the section indicated on the problem, but it may come up in a later part.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really have no idea where to start. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2
    This looks like a relatively simple introduction to the question, not requiring Fourier transforms at this stage. How would you relate the energy of a species to its velocity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook