1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro to analysis proof first and second derivatives and mean value theorem

1. Feb 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f(x) be a twice differentiable function on an interval I. Let f''(x)>0 for all x in I and let f'(c)=0 for some c in I. Prove f(x) is greater than or equal to f(c) for all x in I.

2. Relevant equations

Mean value theorem?

3. The attempt at a solution

f''(x)>0 implies that f'(x) is strictly increasing on I. I don't know what to use the f'(c)=0 for, and whether or not to use the mean value theorem.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #2
    What does f''(x) indicate about f(x)? When you see this, you will realize how the f'(c)=0 comes in to play.

4. Feb 12, 2010 #3
    It implies that f(x) is concave up?

It also implies c is a minimum by the second derivative test but we haven't covered that as of this section in our textbook.

5. Feb 13, 2010 #4
    I still can't figure this one out - I get the feeling the proof is much more simple than I think it is.

6. Feb 13, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Apply the MVT. If f(c) is not a minimum then there is a d such that f(d)<f(c). Suppose d<c. What does the MVT tell you? You are right, the proof is not that hard.

7. Feb 13, 2010 #6
    The MVT tells me that there exists some Xo in [d,c] such that f'(Xo) = [f(c)-f(d)]/(c-d).

8. Feb 13, 2010 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. Is that quantity positive or negative?

9. Feb 13, 2010 #8
    It is negative. I'm still a bit puzzled as to how the mean value theorem relates to proving this problem.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  10. Feb 13, 2010 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't agree with that. We assumed f(d)<f(c) and d<c. I think it's positive. You'll see how this problem relates to the MVT shortly. Feel free to jump ahead if you like.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  11. Feb 13, 2010 #10
    Ah my mistake, the quantity is positive. I think I know where this is headed.

So f'(xo)>f'(c)=0 and c>xo. But f'(x) must be strictly increasing on I since f''(x)>0, and thus the statement must be true by contradiction.

12. Feb 13, 2010 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, exactly. That's where the f'(c)=0 comes in. And if d>c?

13. Feb 13, 2010 #12
    If d>c then f'(xo)<0 and xo>c. f'(c)=0 and f'(xo)<0. But this contradicts that f'(x) is strictly increasing. So the statement must be true.

14. Feb 13, 2010 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you have it then.

15. Feb 13, 2010 #14
    Thank you so much for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook