Intro. to Differential Equations
- Level: Undergrad
- Thread starter ExtravagantDreams
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
95 replies · 179K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 42,895
- 983
"Lambert's W function", W(x), is defined as the inverse function to f(x)= xex. Taking the W function of both sides gives y= W(f(x)).Erfan said:I had to solve a first-order nonlinear ODE which led me to a this equation.how can I find the solution for y?
yey=f(x)
Erfan
- 7
- 0
So the question should be solved numerically using the Lambert's W function? I mean that can't we then have a function in the form: y=f(x)? or we can no more go further than the Lambert's W function?
chwala
Gold Member
- 2,844
- 434
Greg Bernhardt said:Sounds great! Tutorials like this have been very successful here.
Howto make math symbols:
https://www.physicsforums.com/announcement.php?forumid=73
You can make subscripts and subscripts by using these tags
[ sup ] content [ /sup ]
[ sub ] content [ /sub ]
* no spaces
Mathematicians,
i need an insight and understanding of asymptotic behaviour as applied to singular cauchy problem...anyone can comment...
ken chwala BSC MATHS, MSC APPLIED MATHS FINALIST
Last edited by a moderator:
benz31345
- 5
- 0
good job
Luccas
- 2
- 0
Good night,
Last week I begun to study differential equations by my own and first saw ODE's of separable variables. I've learned very well what they are and how to find constant and non-constant solutions. But something extremely trivial is boring me: I can't figure out why some ODE is or is not of separable variable. For example, I know that an ODE of s.v. is an ODE of the type
but I simply cannot say why
is and ODE of s.v. and why
is not.
I know this is very trivial and I am missing something, but I don't know what. Can you help me, please? :-)
[]'s!
Ps.: sorry for my lousy English.
Last week I begun to study differential equations by my own and first saw ODE's of separable variables. I've learned very well what they are and how to find constant and non-constant solutions. But something extremely trivial is boring me: I can't figure out why some ODE is or is not of separable variable. For example, I know that an ODE of s.v. is an ODE of the type
[; \frac{dx}{dt} = g(t)h(x) ;]
but I simply cannot say why
[; \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{y}{x} ;]
is and ODE of s.v. and why
[; \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{x+y}{x^2 +1} ;]
is not.
I know this is very trivial and I am missing something, but I don't know what. Can you help me, please? :-)
[]'s!
Ps.: sorry for my lousy English.
Similar threads
- koh94
- · Replies 2 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 2
- huskerwr38
- · Replies 1 ·
- Differential Equations
- Replies
- 1
- mathhabibi
- · Replies 2 ·
- Differential Equations
- Replies
- 2
- chwala
- · Replies 16 ·
- Differential Equations
- Replies
- 16
- Shovon00000
- · Replies 1 ·
- Differential Equations
- Replies
- 1
- chwala
- · Replies 3 ·
- Differential Equations
- Replies
- 3
- Jaime_mc2
- · Replies 1 ·
- Differential Equations
- Replies
- 1
- chowdhury
- · Replies 1 ·
- Differential Equations
- Replies
- 1
- pawlo392
- · Replies 1 ·
- Differential Equations
- Replies
- 1
- The Tortoise-Man
- · Replies 5 ·
- Differential Equations
- Replies
- 5