Intro to Physics problem dealing with speed and distance

In summary, the problem involves a bug crawling on a spinning CD with a given coefficient of static friction. The bug reaches a distance of 2.66 cm from the center before slipping and the speed at which it starts slipping can be found using the formula v = (r)(w). The correct answer was provided by the teacher in the problem.
Voltrical

Homework Statement

A bug crawls outward from the center of a CD spinning at 200 revolutions per minute. The coefficient of static friction between the bug’s sticky feet and the disc surface is 1.2. How far does the bug get from the center before slipping? What is the speed of the bug just before it starts slipping?

Homework Equations

Edited my work as I would use this in class. May post on request.

r = a / w2

The Attempt at a Solution

r = 2.6666 cm

The bug gets 2.66 cm from the center before slipping.

Q: Does the above seem right? How do I do the second part of the problem where I have to find the speed of the bug before it starts slipping?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How fast is the edge of a circle radius 2.66cm moving if it's rotating at 200rpm?

CWatters said:
How fast is the edge of a circle radius 2.66cm moving if it's rotating at 200rpm?

Oh thank you. I got the correct answer with formula, v = ( r ) ( w ). My teacher put the correct answer on the problem for some reason. Thank you.

1. What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for calculating speed is speed = distance/time. This means that to determine the speed of an object, you divide the distance it has traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

2. How do you convert units when dealing with speed and distance?

To convert units when dealing with speed and distance, you can use conversion factors. For example, to convert from miles per hour (mph) to kilometers per hour (km/h), you can use the conversion factor 1 mph = 1.609 km/h.

3. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. It represents the overall speed of an object during its entire journey. Instantaneous speed, on the other hand, is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time. It can be calculated by finding the slope of the distance-time graph at a particular point.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's speed and distance?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's speed changes. When an object is accelerating, its speed is changing either by increasing or decreasing. This means that the object will cover more distance in a shorter amount of time if its acceleration is positive, and less distance if its acceleration is negative.

5. How can I use a distance-time graph to determine an object's speed?

A distance-time graph shows the relationship between an object's distance and time. The slope of the graph represents the object's speed, with a steeper slope indicating a higher speed and a flatter slope indicating a lower speed. To determine the speed at a specific time, you can find the slope of the graph at that point. Alternatively, you can divide the total distance traveled by the total time taken to find the average speed.