Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro to tensors book for self-study?

1. Aug 31, 2006 #1
    I wonder if anyone might have some suggestions for a good self-study book on tensors. I'm just starting in on Jackson and have only seen tensors briefly in my previous undergrad classes. Any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2006 #2
    Schaum's has a tensor book that i suseful for self-study
  4. Sep 1, 2006 #3
    See also this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=127811

The Schaum's book has a lot of worked problems, and I think it does a good job getting you up to speed, but it's a typical Schaum's outline in that it doesn't spend any time motivating the mathematics.
  5. Sep 1, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you learn best by example, Schaum's is your book (and it's cheap, too). If you learn best by understanding why things are done one way rather than another, you might want to look elsewhere for a deeper treatment.

- Warren
  6. Sep 1, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i like Foundations of Differentiable Manifolds and Lie Groups
    by Frank Warner,
  7. Sep 1, 2006 #6
    Amazon has
    the table of contents and an excerpt from the Warner book
    . Not a book that comes to mind when someone asks for an intro to tensors, but you can look it over.

Someone at Amazon listed an outline of the Lovelock & Rund book:

(When I linked to the thread on Lovelock & Rund, I should have made it clear that I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Bishop & Goldberg book I mentioned there if your interest is just "tensors".)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?