Intro to theoretical physics TUTORIAL

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
In summary, Marlon suggests setting up a thread to cover introductory concepts in theoretical physics, such as fields in QFT, the difference between QM and QFT, virtual particles, group theory and QM/QFT, gauge symmetry, renormalization, the Higgs field/particle, and current difficulties in theoretical physics. He also asks for others to participate in writing about these topics, particularly asking for input from beginning students on what topics they find most difficult and what specific difficulties they encounter while studying intro QFT/QM. Marlon has already written some introductions and plans to post them in the tutorial section.
marlon
Hey guys,

The FAQ was a success wasn't it ?

I have an other suggestion : i would like to set up a thread, covering the very introductory concepts of theortical physics like:

1) Why fields in QFT
2) difference between QM and QFT see here for example
3) virtual particles : what and why ?
4) group theory and QM/QFT (explains the concept of spin)
5) gauge symmetry for the different interactions
6) intro to renormalization : what and why ?
7) Higgs field/particle: what is it and why is it used ?
8) current difficulties in theoretical physics: quark confinement, gravity...

Do realize that i already have a lot of texts on this that have been checked upon by many of our "connaisseurs" here (Vanesch, sA, marcus,...), so most of the work is already done. Check my journal if you want to read them.

Does anyone else like to participate in this by writing down texts on the above topics. I also would like to ask our beginning students what topics they find most difficult and what kind of specific difficulties you run into when studying intro QFT/QM...

Please let me know your thoughts...

regards
marlon

Physics news on Phys.org
Go for it, Marlon! Great idea. :approve: :smile: :cool:

thanks,

i have already written some of them intro's...
i guess i will put them in the tutorial section if i have some time

regards
marlon

1. What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that deals with the development and application of mathematical models and theories to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. It involves studying the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

2. What topics are covered in an intro to theoretical physics tutorial?

An intro to theoretical physics tutorial typically covers topics such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity. It may also include discussions on topics such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and fluid dynamics.

3. Is theoretical physics the same as experimental physics?

No, theoretical physics and experimental physics are two distinct branches of physics. While theoretical physics focuses on developing mathematical models and theories, experimental physics involves conducting experiments and gathering data to test these theories and models.

4. Do I need a strong math background to understand theoretical physics?

Yes, a strong understanding of mathematics is crucial for understanding theoretical physics. Theoretical physicists use mathematical equations and models to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems, so a solid foundation in math is necessary to comprehend these concepts.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a background in theoretical physics?

Individuals with a background in theoretical physics can pursue careers in research and academia, as well as in industries such as aerospace, technology, and finance. They may also work in government agencies or national laboratories, using their knowledge to solve complex problems and develop new technologies.