1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introduction to QM - help

1. Jun 26, 2016 #1
    Hello guys,
    I just finish my first year at uni Phys and Maths,and would like to self teach Quantum Mechanics during this summer, as so I was wondering if you guys could suggest me any good full online courses/ lectures available on the web .
    I have found
    from neptel
    from Oxford

Bookwise suggestions are also welcomed ,I am thinking using David J Griffiths and Feynman's VOL.3 .
    I mathematical inclined and quickly grasp physical concepts so rigorous texts are warmly welcomed.

During my first year I had Linear ALgebra, calculus, electromagnetism,classical mechanics....

Many thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try Modern Quantum Mechanics by Sakurai. The approach presented by the author in conveying the substance of QM is more formal and standard than Griffith's, although the latter is often easier to grasp thanks to its often hand-waving arguments. I would recommend making Sakurai as your main study book complemented by Griffith. As for online lecture notes, I used to learn from MIT and CU Boulder.

4. Jun 27, 2016 #3

atyy

Science Advisor

5. Jun 27, 2016 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Wait, is this wise for someone just starting out to learn QM? That's like recommending Jackson's text for someone starting to learn E&M.

To the OP: Stick with Griffith. If you want to supplement it, try Shankar or even Liboff. And if you do not mind a "wordy" text, then go to Shiff.

Zz.

6. Jun 27, 2016 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hope you didn't mistaken it with Sakurai's Advanced Quantum Mechanics. The OP said he has learned linear algebra, calculus, and electromagnetism and also does not mind rigorous text. Along with the inherent postulates of QM which are introduced along the way in Sakurai, I believe these backgrounds can still guide the OP through the book although probably the road is rather rough in the beginning. The good side of Griffith's books (not only his QM book) is that they present the subject matter in an easily attractive way, but on that purpose sometimes obscure the underlying fundamentals. It's good for motivating a beginner indeed, but sticking solely with this book is not a wise idea, especially for those who want to be serious in QM. I forgot Shankar, it's still better than Griffith IMO, so a combination between them is also good.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  7. Jun 27, 2016 #6

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agreed, the only change I'd make is don't use Griffiths...... Neither of Sakaurai's texts are for someone who hasn't had a good course in introductory QM.

8. Jun 28, 2016 #7
    Balakrishnan is a very good teacher (I did not look into his course in QM, though).
    I did not like first lectures of J.Binney and I abandoned his course.

I can definitely recommend a video-course of David Miller at https://lagunita.stanford.edu/courses/Engineering/QMSE01./Autumn2015/about
    There exists also a second part of it at https://lagunita.stanford.edu/courses/Engineering/QMSE02./Winter2016/about
    Each part is supposed to take 2-3 months of work. I took both these parts and IMO this is the best QM video-course available, if you are looking for something to start with. (You will need to register at the site before you can enroll and access the course).

I also liked MIT 8.04 introductory level course http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2013/lecture-videos/ which might be somewhere easier and nicer investment of your time during the summer.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted