Introductory Probability without Calculus

In summary, there are two potential resources for introductory probability aimed at students with a working knowledge of High School Algebra: "Probability: An Introduction" by Samuel Goldberg and "Integrated Algebra and Trigonometry" by Fisher and Ziebur. The latter includes a chapter that develops probability using combinatorics without calculus, which may be beneficial for someone planning to eventually learn Calculus. However, the first book is likely a better fit for this specific purpose.
hackedagainanda
Are there any good introductory texts aimed at students with only a working knowledge of High School Algebra? I currently have:
Probability: An Introduction by Samuel Goldberg

I do plan on eventually learning Calculus, but I would like to start learning probability sooner.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don‘t know of any book or recent work that does this. I do know of a chapter in a long out of print book that develops a surprising amount of probability theory without calculus, rigorously, using combinatorics. It was aimed at high school level. I believe used copies of this book can still be found.

Integrated Algebra and Trigonometry
by Fisher and Ziebur

Chapter 8 develops probability via combinatorics.

hackedagainanda said:
Are there any good introductory texts aimed at students with only a working knowledge of High School Algebra? I currently have:
Probability: An Introduction by Samuel Goldberg

I do plan on eventually learning Calculus, but I would like to start learning probability sooner.
That looks (checking 'look in book' feature on amazon) like a good book for your purposes, better than my recommendation. I doubt you would do much better.

What is "Introductory Probability without Calculus"?

"Introductory Probability without Calculus" is a course or textbook that teaches the fundamental concepts and principles of probability without using calculus. It is designed for students who have not yet taken a calculus course or who are not comfortable with using calculus in probability problems.

What topics are typically covered in "Introductory Probability without Calculus"?

The topics covered in "Introductory Probability without Calculus" may include basic probability rules, combinatorics, discrete and continuous random variables, probability distributions, and basic statistical concepts such as mean, median, and standard deviation.

Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to understand "Introductory Probability without Calculus"?

No, "Introductory Probability without Calculus" is designed for students with a basic understanding of algebra and some familiarity with mathematical notation. It does not require advanced mathematical skills or knowledge of calculus.

How can "Introductory Probability without Calculus" be useful in real-life applications?

Probability is a fundamental concept in many fields, including statistics, finance, economics, and science. "Introductory Probability without Calculus" can help you develop the skills to understand and analyze real-life situations involving uncertainty and make informed decisions based on probability.

What are some resources available for further study of "Introductory Probability without Calculus"?

There are many online resources, textbooks, and practice problems available for further study of "Introductory Probability without Calculus". Some popular resources include online courses, video lectures, and interactive simulations to help you deepen your understanding of the subject.