Introductory Solid States Physics book?

In summary, the conversation is about choosing a textbook for an introductory course on solid state physics. The person has heard negative things about the Professor's chosen book, Kittel's 8th edition, and is considering using an earlier edition or a different book. They mention Ashcroft and Mermin as a potential supplement, but have heard it may be more advanced. The person mentions liking the 3rd edition of Kittel's book and asks if that was the only one they have used. They also mention using a book specifically on electronics and semiconductors to understand concepts while using Kittel's for the math.
dipole
Hi, I'm taking an introductory course on solid state physics next semester, and the book the Professor has chosen is the 8th edition of Kittel.

I have heard MANY bad things about this book, so I'm wondering if I should just use an earlier edition or another book entirely.

Any recommendations or thoughts about the earlier editions or other books for this purpose?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the 3rd edition.

physiker_192 said:
Ashcroft and Mermin is more basic, so it can be used to supplement Kittel's:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0030839939/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I actually liked the older versions of Kittel's more than the recent ones.

Yea I know about Ashcroft and Mermin, but I've heard it's more advanced than Kittel, not more basic. I might just get it anyways though since it will probably be useful to me in the future.

marcusl said:
I liked the 3rd edition.

Thanks, but was that the only edition you've really used or have you tried more than one?

Last edited by a moderator:
When learning about bandgaps and semiconductors look for a book on Electronics and Semiconductors to get all the concepts, all the maths are in Kittel's book.

1. What is the purpose of an introductory solid states physics book?

An introductory solid states physics book serves as a foundation for understanding the properties and behavior of solid materials. It covers topics such as crystal structures, electronic properties, and thermal properties, which are essential for further study and research in the field.

2. Who is the target audience for an introductory solid states physics book?

The target audience for an introductory solid states physics book is typically undergraduate students majoring in physics, materials science, or engineering. However, it can also be a useful resource for anyone interested in learning about the basics of solid state physics.

3. What are some key topics covered in an introductory solid states physics book?

Some key topics covered in an introductory solid states physics book include crystal structures, electronic band structure, lattice vibrations, electrical and thermal conductivity, magnetic properties, and semiconductors. These topics provide a foundation for understanding the behavior of solid materials at a microscopic level.

4. What makes an introductory solid states physics book different from other physics textbooks?

An introductory solid states physics book differs from other physics textbooks in that it focuses specifically on the properties and behavior of solid materials. It also incorporates concepts from chemistry and materials science, making it a multidisciplinary subject. Additionally, it often includes real-world applications and examples to demonstrate the relevance of solid state physics in everyday life.

5. Are there any recommended supplemental materials for an introductory solid states physics book?

Yes, some recommended supplemental materials for an introductory solid states physics book include online simulations, practice problems, and laboratory experiments. These resources can help students further understand and apply the concepts learned in the book. Additionally, attending lectures and participating in discussions with classmates can also enhance the learning experience.