Invalidation of physics GRE scores?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a periodic table during the physics GRE and the possibility of scores being invalidated due to its presence. The test takers also mention a specific question where a periodic table could have been helpful.
snowmanpumpkin
This is probably the wrong place to ask, but I'm curious. This morning, I took the physics GRE. For the entire test, they forgot to cover up the giant periodic table hanging from the ceiling at the front of the room. I assume that this is one of those things we aren't supposed to have access to during the test, but none of the test takers or administrators said anything about it.

Is there a chance that someone will report this to the ETS and our scores will be invalidated?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the physics GRE (I took the math GRE). Were there any questions on the exam that access to a periodic table would be helpful for? That would probably be true for a Chem GRE, but I don't think a periodic table would be all that helpful for the physics version.

For the chem one, they give you a periodic table at the front, so that's no big deal.

I also took the physics one this morning. There was a question that I totally could've used a periodic table on (basically dealing with beta-decay, didn't know which element was one neutron away from some element).

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for a physics GRE score to be "invalidated"?

Invalidation of a physics GRE score means that the score has been deemed unreliable or inaccurate by the administering body, and will not be considered in the evaluation of the test-taker's abilities. This can happen for a variety of reasons, such as cheating or technical errors.

2. Can a physics GRE score be invalidated after it has been reported?

Yes, a physics GRE score can be invalidated after it has been reported if the administering body discovers evidence of cheating or other violations. In such cases, the score will be removed from the test-taker's record and will not be considered in the evaluation of their abilities.

3. What happens if my physics GRE score is invalidated?

If your physics GRE score is invalidated, it will not be considered in the evaluation of your abilities. This may affect your admissions or scholarship opportunities, depending on the institution's policies. You may also be subject to penalties or consequences for cheating or other violations.

4. How can I prevent my physics GRE score from being invalidated?

To prevent your physics GRE score from being invalidated, make sure to follow all test-taking guidelines and instructions provided by the administering body. This includes refraining from cheating, using unauthorized materials, or engaging in any other prohibited behaviors that could lead to score invalidation.

5. Can I appeal the invalidation of my physics GRE score?

Yes, you can appeal the invalidation of your physics GRE score by following the procedures outlined by the administering body. This may involve providing evidence or explanations to support your case. However, the decision to invalidate a score is ultimately at the discretion of the administering body and may not be overturned.