Invariance of a volume element in phase space, What does it mean?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
Maumas
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
I have been reading the third edition of Classical Mechanics by Goldstein, in particular, chapter 9 Poisson Brackets and Other canonical invariants. And it is shown that the magnitude of a volume element is invariant. I can understand what it means mathematically, but what physical implications does it have?

I have been reading similar questions and noticed that this invariance is related to Liouville’s Theorem. But I do not understand the underlying physics.

Maybe someone can shed light on this issue
Relevant Equations
.
The invariance of this volume element is shown by writing the infinitesimal volume elements $$d\eta$$ and $$d\rho$$

$$d\eta=dq_1.....dq_ndp_1......dp_n$$

$$d\rho=dQ_1.......dQ_ndP_1....dP_n$$

and we know that both of them are related to each other by the absolute value of the determinant of the Jacobian matrix. So I do understand that if we have a canonical transformation $$d\eta=|M|d\rho$$ is $$d\eta=d\rho$$ but i do not know what it means physically.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maumas said:
but what physical implications does it have?
A phase flow of a Hamiltonian system consists of canonical transformations. Now see the Poincare recurrence theorem.