Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights It's Elemental. The Periodic Table quiz - Comments

1. May 10, 2015 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2015 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

That's strange because there are 12 total questions. I missed #4 (what did Mendeleev base the periodic table on) and #9 (rarest element). I correctly guessed on #8 (date of the periodic table).

I'm not sure #9 is correct given that you give ununoctium as a potential answer. Whereas there are maybe only a few ounces of francium, there have probably been only a handful of atoms of Uuo ever made (though Fr might be the better answer given that there probably isn't any Uuo on Earth at the moment, and according to the IUPAC, Uuo has not been discovered yet).

4. May 10, 2015 #3
    Good call, I'll correct it

5. May 10, 2015 #4
    What other scores did members get?

6. May 11, 2015 #5

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I got 9, and since I haven't looked at or thought about a periodic table in at least 10 years, I am quite happy.

7. May 11, 2015 #6

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I missed year of periodic table, first element synthesized, and which letter wasn't in the periodic table.

8. May 11, 2015 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

And what is the correct answer to 10 (the only letter not in the periodic table)? I can't think of an element with J nor Q within the symbol.

9. May 11, 2015 #8

martinbn

Science Advisor

10. May 11, 2015 #9

martinbn

Science Advisor

I thought it should be J, since that letter is not used in Latin. But then I chose Q.

11. May 11, 2015 #10

DrDu

Science Advisor

I am not so sure about whether Np or Fr is more rare in nature. Np is produced by neutron capture by Uranium. The neutrons stem from spontaneous fission of Uranium. With this hindsight, also the answer "90" in question 1 is more convention than fact.

12. May 11, 2015 #11
    This is just a guess, but perhaps that question was inspired by temporary element names like Ununquadium, and so the answer must be J.
    However that name has been replaced by Flerovium (http://www.iupac.org/news/news-detail/article/element-114-is-named-flerovium-and-element-116-is-named-livermorium.html [Broken]), after the Russian laboratory (whose name in turn was inspired by the physicist Georgy Flyorov) that discovered it in 1998.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  13. May 11, 2015 #12
    I suppose we would also have to consider the Neptunium released into the environment due to nuclear explosions. (see this)

14. May 11, 2015 #13

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is also a question of what is meant by 'nature' (per the question of how many elements exist in nature).

1) Smartass observatIon: People are part of nature.

2) Wouldn't a supernova temporarily produce elements even beyond what people have created (possibly reaching a theorized island of [relative] stability)? At any given moment (spatial hypersurface) in the universe, I would presume far more than 90 elements exist (without recourse to assumptions about intelligent aliens).

15. May 11, 2015 #14

James Pelezo

Gold Member

I know it's not in the answer choice list, but Astatine is the rarest naturally occurring element. Just an FYI.

16. May 11, 2015 #15

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

6. With two lucky guesses.

I picked "J", because I knew it was the youngest of the letters in the alphabet, or so I've read.

17. May 12, 2015 #16
    A 10/12 .
    4 correct no guess.
    4 educated half guesses turned out correct
    2 complete guess turned out correct.
    More luck than brains, as they say.

18. May 12, 2015 #17

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

9/12. Had to guess at three and got all of them wrong: the Solitaire question, the number of actinides and the year for the periodic table.

19. May 14, 2015 #18

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

8/12
    Apparently people didn't read the did you know? The date for the first periodic table by mendleev is given before you take the quiz =P
    Trick Questions OP

20. May 14, 2015 #19
    Congratulations – you have completed Periodic Table Quiz.

You scored 8 points out of 12 points total.

Your performance has been rated as Competent.
    I guess on alot of the questions

21. May 14, 2015 #20
    Why is Lawrencium an Actinide? Shouldn't numerology place it as a transition metal?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted