Inventor wanting to start prototyping

• Construction
  • Thread starter Deleted member 656102
  • Start date
In summary, Robert is a self-taught inventor with 10 years of experience. He has been able to design and develop projects using 3D design and animation, but has struggled with the limitations of free software. He is seeking feedback and input from experts in the DIY field to improve his designs and create prototypes, possibly using a 3D printer. His first project is a water turbine that can also function as a VAWT, using a blocker to prevent the water or wind from forcing the turbine in the wrong direction. However, he has received feedback questioning the efficiency of this design compared to others and his lack of understanding of physics and math. He is open to
Deleted member 656102
Hello. My name is Robert, I am 30 and i have been an inventor for 10 years.

I have been developing ideas to the thinnest details. Unfortunately, my life was a little hard and i don't have a mechanical/physical/electrical/ background. But i get a lot work done without that. I design 3D's of some of my projects, even tried some animations, but keep getting stuck with free versions of programs... I want to talk with some experts in diy field, i want to start my projects and make some prototypes, i even plan on buying a 3D printer.

Picture 1.jpg

Up in the picture is my first project for presentation, a water turbine for river bottoms with a water flow blocker, or it can be used as a VAWT, in the picture bellow,

Picture 2..jpg
with a blocker that moves (rotates on a bearing using wind fin)
Air, water, who cares, as long as it gives green power.

The blocker is used to stop the water/air forcing the turbine in the wrong direction.

Ok, so This is enough for today, i have a lot of amasing stuff, and this is just one design, i would really like some comments, so, please, comment. Thanks for reading.

Edit: Just realized that the system with the fin can be used on river bottoms with changing flow directions..

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 781
  • Picture 2..jpg
    Picture 2..jpg
    21 KB · Views: 654
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Robert. :smile:

So far I'm not understanding the use of the "blocker" part. It seems like it will always be in the way, preventing the paddlewheels from being turned by flowing water. Can you show a sketch of one in a river with flowing water to clarify that?

Also, are you familiar with the difference in efficiency between a paddlewheel design and a propeller design? Why is the propeller design for wind/water generators usually so much more efficient? :smile:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/60/35/c2/...2103--solar-power-sustainable-engineering.jpg

6035c2b7d54b7e428c12cc8416762103--solar-power-sustainable-engineering.jpg

Attachments

• 6035c2b7d54b7e428c12cc8416762103--solar-power-sustainable-engineering.jpg
    6035c2b7d54b7e428c12cc8416762103--solar-power-sustainable-engineering.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 731
Blocker is used because only 1/4 of this type of turbine is active. The other 1/4 is proactive, it blocks the spinning because it rotates in the different direction.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/River-Water-Turbine-Generator-Slow-Water_60714293750.html

I just found this online. Quite a price they got.

Edit: turns out the water turbine already exists..

But, the wind turbine i haven't seen, at least not like this. This is unique.
I have seen only a plan for some students in Nova Scotia to make experiments..

Edit 2: I calculate wind turbines by amount of space they take up. So if you have a classic vertical turbine, its 5 meters tall and the blades another square meter., that's a lot of space :D

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many designs of water turbines, each optimum within a specific range of pressure difference and flow rate.

Water wheels are one, kaplan turbines, frances turbines, propeller turbines, Tyson turbine, pelton wheels.helical turbines, cross flow turbines, screw turbines, Jonval turbine, Turgo turbine. That list is not complete. Wikipedia has descriptions and pictures of most of them.

Water_turbine_runners.jpg

To get people to be interested in your design, you'll have to be able to answer questions. How much pressure? How much flow? What RPM? What is the best case efficiency? You'll need a textbook and some study to be able to do that.

Attachments

• Water_turbine_runners.jpg
    Water_turbine_runners.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 876
Likes berkeman
anorlunda said:
There are many designs of water turbines, each optimum within a specific range of pressure difference and flow rate.

Water wheels are one, kaplan turbines, frances turbines, propeller turbines, Tyson turbine, pelton wheels.helical turbines, cross flow turbines, screw turbines, Jonval turbine, Turgo turbine. That list is not complete. Wikipedia has descriptions and pictures of most of them.

View attachment 237270

To get people to be interested in your design, you'll have to be able to answer questions. How much pressure? How much flow? What RPM? What is the best case efficiency? You'll need a textbook and some study to be able to do that.

I have no idea about physics calculations, flow, pressure or anything.

Further, neither do i plan on learning physics from scratch, which would take me years, since i don't know basics of math neither.

So actually, i was thinking more about talking of this particular idea, ways of improving it, advantages and disadvantages, how to build it... simple stuff like that.

I use only logic and experience, common knowledge is an unknown.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, Robert. :smile:

So far I'm not understanding the use of the "blocker" part. It seems like it will always be in the way, preventing the paddlewheels from being turned by flowing water. Can you show a sketch of one in a river with flowing water to clarify that?

View attachment 237264

So this is a windmill.
ffff.jpg

White arrow is turning it. Orange arrows are the way it rotates. The blue arrow is hitting the blocker because if it would hit the paddle wheel it would push it in the opposite direction that it should go.

Attachments

• ffff.jpg
    ffff.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 607
Robert Petrusic said:
I have no idea about physics calculations, flow, pressure or anything.

Further, neither do i plan on learning physics from scratch, which would take me years, since i don't know basics of math neither.

So actually, i was thinking more about talking of this particular idea, ways of improving it, advantages and disadvantages, how to build it... simple stuff like that.

I am afraid this is self contradictory.

You can't improve a design without understanding why it works (or doesn't work) nor without understanding how to compare different designs in terms of efficiency - which requires math. And physics. Otherwise you will be mostly wasting time :frown:

Please remember there is already tons of knowledge, people have spent millions of hours optimizing turbine designs using sophisticated math models. Just logic is not enough to beat them.

Likes davenn and russ_watters
Borek said:
I am afraid this is self contradictory.

You can't improve a design without understanding why it works (or doesn't work) nor without understanding how to compare different designs in terms of efficiency - which requires math. And physics. Otherwise you will be mostly wasting time :frown:

Please remember there is already tons of knowledge, people have spent millions of hours optimizing turbine designs using sophisticated math models. Just logic is not enough to beat them.

I didnt say i don't understand physics.

And about logic, i guess i am Don Quijot. Fighting the impossible odds. No i don't believe its impossible, i am a genius, don't see why it should be so hard.

I designed kinetic harvester for running, couple years later us army published the exact same thing for replacing batteries.

One hour walking can fully charge 4 cellphones. And that's only using your knee.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

You haven't answered:
anorlunda said:
To get people to be interested in your design, you'll have to be able to answer questions. How much pressure? How much flow? What RPM? What is the best case efficiency?
which is needed to convince others from your idea.
Robert Petrusic said:
I use only logic and experience, common knowledge is an unknown.
You can do that, but you cannot expect that others will fill the gaps for you and do the hard part of it.
Robert Petrusic said:
No i don't believe its impossible, i am a genius, don't see why it should be so hard.
A mentor of mine once said: "A genius is not the guy with the brilliant idea at night. It is the one who sits at the desk the very next morning and elaborates his idea!"
Borek said:
This is a serious hint. Especially propelling systems translate directly into real big money. You bet they know what's the best propelling system possible depending on several dozens of parameters.
Robert Petrusic said:
One hour walking can fully charge 4 cellphones. And that's only using your knee.
But 100 posts on the internet cannot replace hard calculations, and one hour thinking cannot charge you with an entire book on fluid dynamics.

I think the case is clear so far, i.e. answered within the general unspecific limits given from the OP. We cannot teach neither classical mechanics nor fluid dynamics here, and we definitely cannot compete with professional shipyards and their capacities to solve propelling problems.

This thread remains closed.

Likes davenn

1. How do I start the prototyping process?

To start the prototyping process, you will need to have a clear idea of your invention and its purpose. Then, you can begin by creating sketches and 3D models to visualize your design. Once you have a solid concept, you can move on to creating a physical prototype using materials such as clay, foam, or 3D printing.

2. What materials should I use for prototyping?

The materials you use for prototyping will depend on the type of product you are creating. For simple designs, materials like paper, cardboard, and foam can be used. For more complex designs, you may need to use materials like plastic, metal, or wood. It is important to choose materials that are easily moldable and can be manipulated to create your prototype.

3. How can I test my prototype?

There are several ways to test your prototype. You can conduct user testing to get feedback from potential customers, or you can perform functional testing to ensure that your invention works as intended. You can also use simulation software to test your prototype in a virtual environment. It is important to test your prototype to identify any flaws or areas for improvement.

4. How much will it cost to prototype my invention?

The cost of prototyping will vary depending on the complexity and materials used for your invention. Simple prototypes can be made using inexpensive materials, while more complex prototypes may require the use of specialized equipment or materials. It is important to research and budget for the materials and tools you will need for your specific prototype.

5. What should I do after I have a working prototype?

After you have a working prototype, you can move on to the next steps of the invention process, such as patenting your idea and creating a business plan. You can also use your prototype to attract investors or seek funding for further development and production. It is important to continue refining your prototype and making improvements before moving on to the production phase.