Inverse Fourier Transform of a function

In summary: The inverse Fourier transform f(\lambda) = \int_{-a}^{a}f(\lambda)e^{-2i\pi\lambda d}dxis then just a frequency decomposition of f(\lambda). So if we want to see if the function has a peak at a particular frequency, we can just evaluate the inverse Fourier transform at that frequency and see if it's a maximum. In summary, the function has a peak at frequency d when evaluated at that frequency using the inverse Fourier transform.
CantorSet
Hi everyone, this is not a homework question but from my reading of a signals processing paper.

This paper says if [itex]f(t)[/itex] is the inverse Fourier transform of a function

[itex]f(\lambda) = e^{-2i\pi\lambda d}[/itex]

then we can "easily see" that [itex]f(t)[/itex] will have a peak [itex]d[/itex].

Part of the issue here is my shaky of the Fourier transform, which up til this point, I understand as a frequency decomposition of a signal. That is, let [itex]f(x)[/itex] be a signal function supported on [itex][-a,a][/itex]. Then,

[itex]f(\lambda) = \int_{-a}^{a}f(x)e^{-2i\pi x\lambda}dx[/itex]

is the Fourier transform with the property that [itex]|f(\lambda)|[/itex] quantifies the "amount" of frequency [itex]\lambda[/itex] in the original signal function [itex]f(x)[/itex].

But returning to my original problem, if we take the inverse Fourier transform of

[itex]f(\lambda) = e^{-2i\pi\lambda d}[/itex], then we have

[itex]f(t) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int e^{-2i\pi\lambda d} e^{2i\pi\lambda t} d \lambda = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int e^{2i\pi\lambda (t-d)} d \lambda [/itex]. But I can't see how [itex]|f(t)|[/itex] is maximized at [itex]t=d[/itex], as it becomes the integral of 1.

Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
It might make more sense if you did not use "f" both for the function and its Fourier transform. And what are the limits of integration in the final integral?

CantorSet said:
[itex]f(t) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int e^{-2i\pi\lambda d} e^{2i\pi\lambda t} d \lambda = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int e^{2i\pi\lambda (t-d)} d \lambda [/itex]. But I can't see how [itex]|f(t)|[/itex] is maximized at [itex]t=d[/itex], as it becomes the integral of 1.

Am I missing something?

First evaluate the integral:

[tex]\int_{-a}^a e^{2\pi i \lambda(t-d)}d\lambda[/tex]

and then take the limit as t goes to d.

jackmell said:
First evaluate the integral:

[tex]\int_{-a}^a e^{2\pi i \lambda(t-d)}d\lambda[/tex]

and then take the limit as t goes to d.

Oh, I see...

So we have

[tex] \int_{-a}^a e^{2\pi i \lambda(t-d)}d\lambda = \frac{Sin(2a\pi (d-t)}{\pi(d-t)} [/tex]

So the function

[tex] \frac{Sin(2a\pi (d-t)}{\pi(d-t)} [/tex]

achieves its max of [tex]\frac{2a}{\pi} [/tex] when [tex] d = t [/tex].

Thanks for the help. By the way, was there an easy way to see this without having to integrate? The original function

[tex] f(\lambda) = e^{-2 i \pi \lambda d} [/tex]

is a Fourier basis elements on [tex] L^2[-a,a] [/tex].

1. What is the Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Inverse Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the frequency domain and converts it back into a function in the time domain. It is the reverse process of the Fourier Transform, which converts a function from the time domain to the frequency domain.

2. How is the Inverse Fourier Transform calculated?

The Inverse Fourier Transform is calculated using the formula: f(t) = 1/(2π) ∫F(ω)e^(iωt) dω, where f(t) is the function in the time domain, F(ω) is the function in the frequency domain, and i is the imaginary unit. This integral is solved for each value of t to obtain the time-domain function.

3. What is the importance of the Inverse Fourier Transform in science?

The Inverse Fourier Transform is an essential tool in many scientific fields, including signal processing, image and audio compression, and quantum mechanics. It allows us to analyze and manipulate signals and data in the time and frequency domains, providing valuable insights and applications in various areas of research and technology.

4. Can any function be transformed using the Inverse Fourier Transform?

Yes, the Inverse Fourier Transform can be applied to any function that satisfies certain mathematical conditions, such as being continuous and having finite energy. However, the resulting time-domain function may not always be physically meaningful or useful, depending on the original function in the frequency domain.

5. Are there any limitations to the Inverse Fourier Transform?

One limitation of the Inverse Fourier Transform is that it assumes the function in the frequency domain is periodic. This means that it may not accurately represent a function with a non-periodic component or one that changes over time. Additionally, the Inverse Fourier Transform has difficulty dealing with functions that have sharp changes or discontinuities, resulting in inaccuracies in the time-domain function.