1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse function of a quadratic and a cubic function?

1. Sep 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    jruv4i.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

for 24. which is a quadratic function, i understand that you have to exchange the positions of x and y and solve from there...but my question is the inverse function of that quadratic for 24 is a negative number under a square root...iv tried google etc... apparently im dealing with imaginary or complex numbers or something... my calculator keeps giving me an error whenever i try to come up with points for the table of values using the inverse function

the inverse function btw is y=±√x-3

how do i get around this? the book clearly shows that you can graph this inverse function but i cant get the y values because the negative number in square root

for 25. the inverse function is y=3√x

using the x values in table of values of -3, -2, -1, 0 ,1 ,2 ,3

can someone please do a few sample calculations and show me how to get the answer? or how they got the solutions for a few of those points? im completely lost for question 25.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In 24, you are missing the point completely. Go back to basics: do you know what a function is (an exact definition, please, not some hand-waving statement). Do you know what would be meant by an inverse function (if it existed)? Can you see the trouble in example 24? Hint: it has nothing to do with the fact that for some values of y the equation y = 3 + x^2 has no real solutions; obviously, 3 + x^3 ≥ 3 always, so if we pick a value of y that is < 3 there will be no solution. Again, I emphasize: that is NOT the issue. Go back and answer---very carefully--- the questions I have asked you.

RGV

4. Sep 12, 2012 #3
    ok i was able to solve 24 on my own..still no news on 25 though

5. Sep 12, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your book should have some discussion about how to determine whether a graph represents a function or not. For example, the graph of y2 = x (or equivalently, y = ±√x) does not represent a function.

6. Sep 12, 2012 #5
    yeah, its simple the vertical line test, what i am trying to figure out is how to get the points so i can graph the inverse function for question 25. The book says the inverse function is y=3√x

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook