1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse in lie group, tangent space

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm supposed to prove, that when G is a Lie group, [itex]i:G\to G[/itex] is the inverse mapping [itex]i(g)=g^{-1}[/itex], then

[tex]
    i_{*e} v = -v\quad\quad\forall \; v\in T_e G
    [/tex]

where [itex]i_{*e}:T_e G \to T_e G[/itex] is the tangent mapping.

2. Relevant equations

I'm not sure how standard the tangent mapping notation or terminology is, so here's how it is defined on our course. If [itex]\phi:M\to N[/itex] is a smooth function between two manifolds, then for each [itex]p\in M[/itex]

[tex]
    \phi_{*p}:T_p M\to T_{\phi(p)} N,\quad\quad (\phi_{*p} v) f = v(f\circ \phi)\quad
    \forall \; v\in T_p M \quad f:N\to\mathbb{R}
    [/tex]

Quick googling revealed that this is often given other notations similar to derivative notations.

3. The attempt at a solution

We can choose some chart [itex]x:U\to\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], where [itex]U\subset G[/itex] is some environment of the [itex]e\in G[/itex], so that x(e)=0. After simply writing down some definitions, I was able to show that the result follows if we know

[tex]
    \partial_j (x_k\circ i\circ x^{-1})(0) = -\delta_{jk}
    [/tex]

Here [itex]x^{-1}:(x(U)\subset \mathbb{R}^n)\to U[/itex] is the inverse of the x, [itex]x_k:U\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] is a component mapping of the x, and [itex]\partial_j[/itex] is a normal partial derivative in an Euclidean space.

This is where I ran out of ideas. I have no clue how the group structure gets related to what happens in the chart images. I know that [itex]g\mapsto g^{-1}[/itex] is supposed to be smooth, but this merely justifies the existence of the partial derivative in the above equation.

(btw. I will not return any solution anywhere. I'm preparing to an exam by doing old exercises)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can think of tangent vectors as represented by differentiable curves through e, the group identity. So pick g(s) to be a representative of v, i.e. g(0)=e, g'(0)=v. Now g(s)*i(g(s))=e. Differentiate both sides, put s=0 and get t+i_*(t)=0.

4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
    Your hint certainly pushed in the right direction, but I still have some problems with this. One way to prove

[tex]
    i_{*e} v = -v
    [/tex]

would be to show

[tex]
    vf = -v(f\circ i)
    [/tex]

for arbitrary smooth [itex]f:U\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] on some environment [itex]U\subset G[/itex] of [itex]e\in G[/itex].

If [itex]g:I\to G[/itex] has been chosen so that [itex]0\in I[/itex], [itex]g(0)=e[/itex], and [itex]\dot{g}_0 = v[/itex], then the left side is

[tex]
    \dot{g}_0 f = D_t (f\circ g)(t)\Big|_{t=0}
    [/tex]

and the right side is

[tex]
    -\dot{g}_0 (f\circ i) = -D_t(f\circ i\circ g)(t)\Big|_{t=0}.
    [/tex]

According to you hint, it looks like I should start computing something like this

[tex]
    0 = D_t f\big(g(t)\cdot (i\circ g)(t)\big)\Big|_{t=0} = \cdots
    [/tex]

But I don't know how to do anything to that. How do you get the derivation inside the f?

I would know how to compute

[tex]
    D_t\Big((f\circ g)(t)\; (f\circ i\circ g)(t)\Big)\Big|_{t=0} =\cdots = f(e)\big( vf + (i_{*e} v) f\big)
    [/tex]

for example, but for this there does not seem to be any obvious reason why this would be zero.

5. Dec 5, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you think of the Lie group as a matrix group, then the argument I gave is not just a hint, it IS the proof. I'm having more than a little trouble wrapping my head around your more abstract formalism.

6. Dec 6, 2007 #5
    I can see this.

This is the rigor general formalism. In general Lie group is just a differentiable manifold with a group structure. Tangent vectors are linear mappings that map smooth functions into real numbers.

In fact the problem comes down to this:

If [itex]\gamma^1[/itex] and [itex]\gamma^2[/itex] are some smooth paths [itex]I\to G[/itex] on some Lie group, so that [itex]\gamma^1(0)=\gamma^2(0)=e[/itex], then we get a new smooth path

[tex]
    t\mapsto \gamma^1(t)\cdot \gamma^2(t)
    [/tex]

by multiplying the images.

Is the equation

[tex]
    \dot{(\gamma^1\cdot\gamma^2)}_0 = \dot{\gamma}^1_0 + \dot{\gamma}^2_0
    [/tex]

true? (okey, that dot looks horrible, when its trying to be above both of the gammas...)

It seems to be, but I don't know the proof. Once this is clear, the previous problem becomes solved as you showed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?