Inverse Laplace transform of (-3s+20)/(s²-6s+12)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
andrewdavid
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I have this laplace transform that I need to solve: y''-6y'+13y=0 y'(0)=2 y(0)=-3


I figured out my Y(s)=(-3s+20)/(s^2-6s+12). All I need to do is take the inverse laplace of this but I can't figure it. I know I need to split it into two fractions, but after that I'm lost. I'd appreciate any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try doing complete the square on the bottom... see what happens
 
Ok I got -3s/((s-3)^2)+4 + 20/((s-3)^2)+4) after completing the square and splitting up the fraction.
 
Ok now look at your Laplace Table of inverse and convert them.

For example

[tex]e^{at} \sin (bt) = \frac{b}{(s-a)^{2} + b^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]10 \frac{2}{(s-3)^{2} + (2)^{2}} = 10 e^{3t} \sin (2t)[/tex]
 
Last edited:
For the other Laplace inverse is:

[tex]e^{at} \cos (bt) = \frac{s-a}{(s-a)^{2} + b^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-3s}{(s-3)^{2} + 4} = \frac{-3s + 9 - 9}{(s-3)^{2} + 4}[/tex]

thus

[tex]\frac{-3s + 9 - 9}{(s-3)^{2} + 4} = \frac{-3(s - 3) - 9}{(s-3)^{2} + 4}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-3(s - 3) - 9}{(s-3)^{2} + 4} = \frac{-3(s - 3)}{(s-3)^{2} + 4} + \frac{-9}{(s-3)^{2} + 4}[/tex]

and finally

[tex]\frac{-3(s - 3)}{(s-3)^{2} + 4} = -3 e^{3t} \cos(2t)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-9}{2} \frac{2}{(s-3)^{2} + (2)^{2}} = \frac{-9}{2} e^{3t} \sin (2t)[/tex]

so for the end Laplace inverse of

[tex]\frac{-3s}{(s-3)^{2} + 4} = -3 e^{3t} \cos(2t) + \frac{-9}{2} e^{3t} \sin (2t)[/tex]
 
Last edited: