Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Problems in Scattering

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1
    Hi Guys,

I am doing a bit of work with dynamic light scattering (DLS) data. It is one of the many areas of science where we encounter an inverse problem.

The forward problem is: For a known sized particle, calculate its scattered spectrum (that is easy). The inverse problem is: from the scattered spectrum, calculate the size(s) of the partcile(s) that made the spectrum (that is hard).

What I would like to know is how, given an experimental data set, do you invert that data set to get the original sample properties? I just read some books and they dont seem to go into the maths.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty good at MATLAB and would like to code my own inversion routines.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2013 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

4. Jul 12, 2014 #3
  5. Jul 12, 2014 #4
    Hi mate,

thanks for the reply to my very old topic hah. I had a go at that cause the original CONTIN is too complicated for me to use. rILT seems to work but its very slow. I have been using other methods in the mean time.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook