1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse tangents in cyclic order

1. May 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem- if

$$\theta= tan^{-1}(\frac{a(a+b+c)}{bc})+tan^{-1}(\frac{b(a+b+c)}{ac})+tan^{-1}(\frac{c(a+b+c)}{ab})$$
    , then find $$tan\theta$$

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to use these as sides of a triangle and use their properties, but other than that I am clueless. I cannot think of a substitution either. The answer happens to be zero. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2016 #2
    Okay, I have it. Apparently, there is no 'elegant' way to do this. Just use the equation for $$arctan x + arctan y + arctan z$$, and after some really messy calculation, you get the answer as zero. If there is a different, neat answer, please let me know.

4. Jun 2, 2016 #3
    i think your question is wrong it should be:-
    in all the terms it should be sqrt(x) , sqrt(y), sqrt(z) inside of arctan ; where x,y,z are a(a+b+c)/bc , b(a+b+c)/ac , c(a+b+c)/ab ; as i have seen a similar question in my textbook.

if you consider it like this and take tan both sides and use tan(E+F+G)=(S1-S3)/(1-S2), it is easily solved in just few steps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted