1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting one inverse trig function to another

1. May 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Express $$ 2 arctan (\sqrt\frac{a-b}{a+b} tan (\theta/2))$$ in terms of inverse cosine

2. Relevant equations
    I realise it amounts to find a smart substitution, but I can't find one.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried ##b/a=tan \theta## , but I can't find any way to get rid of the other tangent term. I would be really nice if the solution is not a direct substitution of the enormous formula for the inverse trig functions, as it only gets messy. Thanks in advance!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2016 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

4. May 31, 2016 #3
    @Math_QED I mentioned that I don't want to just substitute into the formulae as they are very messy...No problem, you can look into it when you have the time.

5. May 31, 2016 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Hint: Let ##x = 2 \arctan \left[\sqrt\frac{a-b}{a+b} \tan \left(\frac \theta 2\right)\right]##. Then ##\tan \frac x2 = \sqrt\frac{a-b}{a+b} \tan \left(\frac \theta 2\right)##. You can express ##\tan\frac x2## in terms of ##\cos x##.

6. May 31, 2016 #5
    Done!! Thanks a lot @vela !!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted