• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Converting one inverse trig function to another

Homework Statement

Express $$ 2 arctan (\sqrt\frac{a-b}{a+b} tan (\theta/2))$$ in terms of inverse cosine

Homework Equations

I realise it amounts to find a smart substitution, but I can't find one.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried ##b/a=tan \theta## , but I can't find any way to get rid of the other tangent term. I would be really nice if the solution is not a direct substitution of the enormous formula for the inverse trig functions, as it only gets messy. Thanks in advance!!

Answers and Replies

Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
@Math_QED I mentioned that I don't want to just substitute into the formulae as they are very messy...No problem, you can look into it when you have the time.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor

Homework Statement

Express $$ 2 arctan (\sqrt\frac{a-b}{a+b} tan (\theta/2))$$ in terms of inverse cosine

Homework Equations

I realise it amounts to find a smart substitution, but I can't find one.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried ##b/a=tan \theta## , but I can't find any way to get rid of the other tangent term. I would be really nice if the solution is not a direct substitution of the enormous formula for the inverse trig functions, as it only gets messy. Thanks in advance!!
Hint: Let ##x = 2 \arctan \left[\sqrt\frac{a-b}{a+b} \tan \left(\frac \theta 2\right)\right]##. Then ##\tan \frac x2 = \sqrt\frac{a-b}{a+b} \tan \left(\frac \theta 2\right)##. You can express ##\tan\frac x2## in terms of ##\cos x##.

Done!! Thanks a lot @vela !!!