Trigonometry (Double angle formula)

In summary, to calculate the value of \tan(\frac{\pi}{12}) without a calculator, the compound angle and double angle formulas can be used. Using an equilateral triangle and the double angle formula, the value of \tan(\frac{\pi}{12}) can be found to be \pm2-\sqrt(3). However, since \pi/12 is in the first quadrant, the tangent must be positive, making the negative solution invalid. Alternatively, \tan(\frac{\pi}{12}) can be found by using the compound angle formula with \tan(\frac{\pi}{4}) and \tan(\frac{\pi}{6}), giving only one solution.
trollcast
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Calculate the value of [itex]\tan(\frac{\pi}{12})[/itex] without the use of a calculator and showing all steps.

Homework Equations

Compound angle formula / Double angle formula

The Attempt at a Solution

Using an equilateral triangle of side length 2 I've shown that:
$$\tan(\frac{\pi}{6})=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}$$
Then using the double angle formula:
$$\tan(2\theta)=\frac{2\tan(\theta)}{1-\tan^2(\theta)}$$
Substituting the value for [itex]\tan(\frac{\pi}{12})[/itex] in as 2θ and solving for [itex]\tan(\theta)[/itex]:
$$\tan(\frac{\pi}{12})=\pm2-\sqrt(3)$$

However how do I show that I only need to take the positive solution?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that ##\pi/12## is in the first quadrant. What must the tangent be of an angle in the first quadrant? Positive or negative?

micromass said:
You know that ##\pi/12## is in the first quadrant. What must the tangent be of an angle in the first quadrant? Positive or negative?

Thanks micro don't know how I missed that.

So the tangent should be positive since its in the first quadrant, therefore the negative solution is not possible?

micromass said:
That's it!

Thanks again, I just actually realized I could have done it by finding [itex]\tan(\frac{\pi}{4})[/itex] and then using the compound angle formula to calculate [itex]\tan(\frac{\pi}{4}-\frac{\pi}{6})[/itex] , which would only give one solution at the end.

1. What are the double angle formulas in trigonometry?

The double angle formulas in trigonometry are identities that express trigonometric functions of double angles in terms of trigonometric functions of single angles. The most commonly used double angle formulas are:
• sin 2θ = 2sinθcosθ
• cos 2θ = cos²θ - sin²θ
• tan 2θ = 2tanθ / 1- tan²θ

2. How do you use the double angle formulas to simplify trigonometric expressions?

The double angle formulas can be used to simplify trigonometric expressions by replacing the double angle with a single angle and using the appropriate formula. For example, if the expression is sin 2x, it can be replaced with 2sinx cosx, and further simplified if needed.

3. What is the difference between the double angle formula for sine and cosine?

The double angle formula for sine is sin 2θ = 2sinθcosθ, while the double angle formula for cosine is cos 2θ = cos²θ - sin²θ. The main difference is in the terms being squared, with sine using both sinθ and cosθ, and cosine using only cosθ.

4. How can the double angle formulas be used to find exact values?

The double angle formulas can be used to find exact values by simplifying trigonometric expressions and using known values of sin, cos, and tan for common angles such as 30°, 45°, and 60°. This can be particularly useful when solving trigonometric equations.

5. What are some real-life applications of the double angle formulas?

The double angle formulas are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They can be used to calculate angles and distances in right-angled triangles, and also in the design and construction of structures such as bridges and buildings. The formulas are also used in signal processing and in the study of periodic phenomena, such as sound and light waves.