1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Investigations into the infinitesimal Lorentz transformation

1. Apr 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Lorentz transformation ##x^{\mu} \rightarrow x'^{\mu} = {\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu}x^{\nu}## is such that it preserves the Minkowski metric ##\eta_{\mu\nu}##, meaning that ##\eta_{\mu\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}x'^{\mu}x'^{\nu}## for all ##x##. Show that this implies that ##\eta_{\mu\nu} = \eta_{\sigma\tau}{\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\mu}{\Lambda^{\tau}}_{\nu}##.

Use this result to show that an infinitesimal transformation of the form ##{\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu}={\delta^{\mu}}_{\nu}+{\omega^{\mu}}_{\nu}## is a Lorentz transformation when ##\omega^{\mu\nu}## is antisymmetric: i.e. ##\omega^{\mu\nu}=-\omega^{\nu\mu}##.

Write down the matrix form for ##{\omega^{\mu}}_{\nu}## that corresponds to a rotation through an infinitesimal angle ##\theta## about the ##x^{3}##-axis.

Do the same for a boost along the ##x^{1}##-axis by an infinitesimal velocity ##v##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

##\eta_{\mu\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}x'^{\mu}x'^{\nu}##

##\implies \eta_{\mu\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}({\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\rho}x^{\rho})({\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\sigma}x^{\sigma})##

##\implies \eta_{\mu\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}=\eta_{\rho\sigma}({\Lambda^{\rho}}_{\mu}x^{\mu})({\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\nu}x^{\nu})##

##\implies \eta_{\mu\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}=\eta_{\rho\sigma}{\Lambda^{\rho}}_{\mu}{\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}##

##\implies \eta_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\rho\sigma}{\Lambda^{\rho}}_{\mu}{\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\nu}##

Am I correct so far?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I think so. But someone might want to see explicitly how you get the last line from the next to last line.

4. Apr 24, 2016 #3
    Well, the next to last line consists of a sum of terms ##\eta_{\mu\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}## and ##\eta_{\rho\sigma}{\Lambda^{\rho}}_{\mu}{\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}## with all possible combinations of values ##0,1,2,3## for the indices ##\mu## and ##\nu##.

However, the last line only contains the terms ##\eta_{\mu\nu}## and ##\eta_{\rho\sigma}{\Lambda^{\rho}}_{\mu}{\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\nu}## for a specific value of ##\mu## and ##\nu##.

I thought that this was obvious, so I decided to skip the explanation. Isn't my reasoning sound, though?

5. Apr 24, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If I have two matrices ##A_{\mu \nu}## and ##B_{\mu \nu}## that satisfy ##A_{\mu \nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu} = B_{\mu \nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}## for all possible ##x^{\mu}##, can I conclude that ##A_{\alpha \beta} = B_{\alpha \beta}## for all ##\alpha## and ##\beta##?

6. Apr 24, 2016 #5
    I think so, yes.

7. Apr 24, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try to show explicitly that ##A_{12} = B_{12}##.

8. Apr 24, 2016 #7
    Oh wait. The correct relation is ##A_{12}+A_{21}=B_{12}+B_{21}##.

9. Apr 24, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right.

10. Apr 24, 2016 #9
    Well! In that case, I need to rewrite my solution:

##\eta_{\mu\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}x'^{\mu}x'^{\nu}##

##\implies \eta_{\mu\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}({\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\sigma}x^{\sigma})({\Lambda^{\nu}}_{\tau}x^{\tau})##

##\implies \eta_{\mu\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}=\eta_{\sigma\tau}({\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\mu}x^{\mu})({\Lambda^{\tau}}_{\nu}x^{\nu})##

##\implies \eta_{\mu\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}=\eta_{\sigma\tau}{\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\mu}{\Lambda^{\tau}}_{\nu}x^{\mu}x^{\nu}##

##\implies \eta_{\mu\nu}+\eta_{\nu\mu}=\eta_{\sigma\tau}{\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\mu}{\Lambda^{\tau}}_{\nu}+\eta_{\sigma\tau}{\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\nu}{\Lambda^{\tau}}_{\mu}##, since ##x^{\mu}x^{\nu}=x^{\nu}x^{\mu}##

##\implies \eta_{\mu\nu}+\eta_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\sigma\tau}{\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\mu}{\Lambda^{\tau}}_{\nu}+\eta_{\tau\sigma}{\Lambda^{\tau}}_{\mu}{\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\nu}##, since the metric tensor is symmetric, i.e. ##\eta^{\mu\nu}=\eta^{\nu\mu}##

##\implies \eta_{\mu\nu}+\eta_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\sigma\tau}{\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\mu}{\Lambda^{\tau}}_{\nu}+\eta_{\sigma\tau}{\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\mu}{\Lambda^{\tau}}_{\nu}##

##\implies 2 \eta_{\mu\nu}= 2 \eta_{\sigma\tau}{\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\mu}{\Lambda^{\tau}}_{\nu}##

##\implies \eta_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\sigma\tau}{\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\mu}{\Lambda^{\tau}}_{\nu}##

Is my solution correct?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  11. Apr 24, 2016 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. The symmetry of the metric tensor is used here.

12. Apr 24, 2016 #11
    Next, I need to use the result ##\eta_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\sigma\tau}{\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\mu}{\Lambda^{\tau}}_{\nu}## to show that an infinitesimal transformation of the form ##{\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu}={\delta^{\mu}}_{\nu}+{\omega^{\mu}}_{\nu}## is a Lorentz transformation when ##\omega^{\mu\nu}## is antisymmetric: i.e. ##\omega^{\mu\nu}=-\omega^{\nu\mu}##:

##\eta_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\sigma\tau}{\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\mu}{\Lambda^{\tau}}_{\nu}##

##\implies \eta_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\sigma\tau}({\delta^{\sigma}}_{\mu}+{\omega^{\sigma}}_{\mu})({\delta^{\tau}}_{\nu}+{\omega^{\tau}}_{\nu})##

##\implies \eta_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\sigma\tau}({\delta^{\sigma}}_{\mu}{\delta^{\tau}}_{\nu}+{\delta^{\sigma}}_{\mu}{\omega^{\tau}}_{\nu}+{\omega^{\sigma}}_{\mu}{\delta^{\tau}}_{\nu}+{\omega^{\sigma}}_{\mu}{\omega^{\tau}}_{\nu})##

##\implies \eta_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}+\eta_{\mu\tau}{\omega^{\tau}}_{\nu}+\eta_{\nu\sigma}{\omega^{\sigma}}_{\mu}+\eta_{\sigma\tau}{\omega^{\sigma}}_{\mu}{\omega^{\tau}}_{\nu}##

##\implies \eta_{\mu\tau}{\omega^{\tau}}_{\nu}+\eta_{\nu\sigma}{\omega^{\sigma}}_{\mu} = 0##, where we neglect the term ##\eta_{\sigma\tau}{\omega^{\sigma}}_{\mu}{\omega^{\tau}}_{\nu}## because it is of second order in the infinitesimal ##{\omega^{\mu}}_{\nu}##.

##\implies \omega_{\mu\nu}+\omega_{\nu\mu}=0##

##\implies \omega_{\mu\nu}=-\omega_{\nu\mu}##

##\implies \omega^{\mu\nu}=-\omega^{\nu\mu}##

so that ##\omega^{\mu\nu}## is antisymmetric.

Is my solution correct?

13. Apr 24, 2016 #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

14. Apr 24, 2016 #13
    Finally, the remaining parts of the problem:

The matrix form for ##{\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu}## that corresponds to a rotation through a finite angle ##\theta## about the ##x^{3}##-axis is given by

## {\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu} =
    \left( \begin{array}{cccc}
    1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & \text{cos}\ \theta & -\text{sin}\ \theta & 0 \\
    0 & \text{sin}\ \theta & \text{cos}\ \theta & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right) =
    1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right) +
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & -\theta & 0 \\
    0 & \theta & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \right) + \cdots ={\delta^{\mu}}_{\nu}+{\omega^{\mu}}_{\nu}+\cdots ,
    ##

where we used ##\text{sin}\ \theta = \theta - \frac{\theta^{3}}{3!}+\cdots## and ##\text{cos}\ \theta = 1 + \frac{\theta^{2}}{2!}+\cdots ## and we only kept terms up to linear order in ##\theta## in the expansion of ##{\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu}##,

so the matrix form for ##{\omega^{\mu}}_{\nu}## that corresponds to a rotation through an infinitesimal angle ##\theta## about the ##x^{3}##-axis is given by

##{\omega^{\mu}}_{\nu}=
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & -\theta & 0 \\
    0 & \theta & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \right).##

The matrix form for ##{\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu}## that corresponds to a boost along the ##x^{1}##-axis by a finite velocity ##v## is given by

## {\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu} =
    \gamma & -\gamma v & 0 & 0 \\
    -\gamma v & \gamma & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
    1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
    0 & -v & 0 & 0 \\
    v & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \right) + \cdots ={\delta^{\mu}}_{\nu}+{\omega^{\mu}}_{\nu}+\cdots ,
    ##

where we used ##\gamma =\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^{2}}}=(1-v^{2})^{-1/2}=1+\frac{v^{2}}{2}+\dots ## and ##\gamma v =v\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^{2}}}=v(1-v^{2})^{-1/2}=v+\frac{v^{3}}{2}+\dots ## and we only kept terms up to linear order in ##v## in the expansion of ##{\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu}##,

so the matrix form for ##{\omega^{\mu}}_{\nu}## that corresponds to a boost along the ##x^{1}##-axis by an infinitesimal velocity ##v## is given by

##{\omega^{\mu}}_{\nu}=
    0 & -v & 0 & 0 \\
    v & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \right).##

Is this solution correct?

15. Apr 24, 2016 #14

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check the sign in the first column of the last matrix on the right side.

16. Apr 25, 2016 #15
    It is a typo. We should instead have the following:

##{\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu} =
    \gamma & -\gamma v & 0 & 0 \\
    -\gamma v & \gamma & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
    1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
    0 & -v & 0 & 0 \\
    -v & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \right) + \cdots ={\delta^{\mu}}_{\nu}+{\omega^{\mu}}_{\nu}+\cdots ##

so that

##{\omega^{\mu}}_{\nu}=
    0 & -v & 0 & 0 \\
    -v & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \right)##.

I believe everything else is correct, isnt it?

17. Apr 25, 2016 #16

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted