InVisage: Quantum Film - real of fake?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter cf8
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Film Quantum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
cf8
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
InVisage: "Quantum Film" - real of fake?

First a link: http://www.invisageinc.com/page.aspx?cont=QuantumFilm%20Technology" . (Company's website page for it; used for their wording on the claims.)

Then another: http://www.google.com/search?q=quantum+film". (Google Web Search for Quantum Film; used to illustrate the ruckus this has been causing at tech-aware news outlets.)

So... basically this company says they have developed a film that achieves 100% efficiency conversion of photons to electrons. That's the part I'm stuck on. Do I think it is possible they developed something that increased the efficiency? Yes. Do I think they actually developed something that achieves 100% efficiency? No.

Even if it were 100% increase in efficiency, I'd think that something like this would be along the lines of the transistor or light-emitting diode, as far as revolutionariness.

(Unrelated side note: I thought I'd have to make up a new word, by improperly combining lexical structures, but apparently "http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/revolutionariness" " is a real word. Awesome!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org


Well, it is certainly an... extraordinary claim. But it sounds very, VERY dubious to me.
 


After looking at the web-site their really doesn't seem to be enough info to say one way or another. I think that the "100%" claim is probably exagerated, but that doesn't mean they haven't developed a remarkably better method for taking pictures. If we start seeing these things pop up everywhere we'll know for sure.