Ionization ENERGY -Why removal of electron from gaseous atom

• Thread starter gracy
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Why ionization energy is defined as the energy required to remove the outermost, or highest energy, electron from a neutral atom in the gas phase. Why can't we remove electrons from a solid,can we?
If not ,what's the reason?I think we can not remove electrons from a solid because in gas phase molecules or gaseous atoms are far apart so in order to remove electron we just have to overcome attraction of nucleus of that particular atom from which we are removing electrons.But in solid state ,there is attraction between adjacent atoms ,so to remove electrons we have to overcome attraction of several atoms .Am I right?

Sorry if my reasoning is just not making any sense.But in order to correct myself I will have to show my thinking, my views.Doesn't matter right or wrong.
Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
Ionization energy is a property of an atom. If you were removing the electron from a solid it would be a property of a bulk solid.

Likes gracy
If you were removing the electron from a solid it would be a property of a bulk solid.
Why we can have isolated gaseous atom but not isolated solid atom?

Borek
Mentor
Why we can have isolated gaseous atom but not isolated solid atom?
Isolated solid atom is no longer part of a solid.

Likes gracy
That means isolated solid atoms do exist.

Borek
Mentor
No, it doesn't mean that. Isolated atom is not in contact with anything, so it is indistinguishable from the gaseous atom.

Likes gracy
In definition of ionization energy ,it is gaseous atom not isolated gaseous atom,right?I mean
And what about isolated gaseous atom?Is it still part of gas.

Borek
Mentor
Atoms in gas are separate entities that - for most time - don't interact (the lower the pressure, the rarer the collisions that are the only interaction). Atoms in solid are held together by their interactions and their orbitals overlap, creating bands (which are in a way equivalents of orbitals spreading throughout the whole solid). These are entirely different situations.

Likes gracy
Oh!I now understand the whole concept.Thanks a lot @Borek.

DrDu
Science Advisor
This also has a purely technical aspect: The ionization energy in the gas phase is much easier and more precisely being measured than some energies in the solid state.