Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic Conservation in Ionized Hydrogen Gas

1. Mar 18, 2016 #1
    Dear all,
    So I have a question concerning atomic conservation in an ionized hydrogen gas. So imagine we have ## H_2 ## initially. Later the gas is taken to an appreciable temperature such that at equilibrium the following species are present, ## e^-, \ H, \ H^+, \ H_2, \ H^-, \ \text{and} \ H_2^+##. In order to properly minimize the Gibbs free energy for such a system I need to appropriately apply atomic conservation in the form,
    ##b_k = \sum_{i = 1}^n a_{i,k} \ y_i ##
    where ## a_{i,k} ## is the number of atoms of component ## k ## in species ## i ##, ## b_k ## is the number moles of component ## k ## per mass of mixture, ## n ## is the total number of species, and ## y_i ## is the number of moles of species ## i ## per mass of the mixture. This is fairly simple when dealing with chemical systems that are not ionizing. However, I am confused about how to treat the atomic conservation in the case of ionized hydrogen. I am not entirely sure how to treat the electron and other ions, so that the conservation is consistent. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

In this case, I would take the "chemical species" to be protons and electrons, and write the conservation equations for p and e.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted