Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IQ scores and learning disabilities.

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    Is it not counter productive to use IQ scores to determine whether a student has a learning disability? Many studies have shown that a learning disability can have a significant effect on IQ (which also leads to the discussion whether IQ scores are effective methods of determining intelligence).

If you can't tell already I do have a bias on this matter because I took an IQ test in 4th grade and I was shown to have a learning disability (slower motor skills). I was also shown to have advanced mathematical and logical abilities.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

IQ tests were only created to determine learning disabilities.

4. Feb 16, 2012 #3
    Wrong it was developed to identify mental retardation which is completely different than a learning disability.

5. Feb 16, 2012 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know a lot in this area, but perhaps they use IQ tests to detect the presence of a learning disability.

6. Feb 16, 2012 #5

Evo

I was being polite, you yourself said the test revealed a learning disability. It can identify problems.

Is there some point to this thread aside from a personal grievance?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  7. Feb 16, 2012 #6
    In what way please clarify?

8. Feb 16, 2012 #7
    yes, it was developed to identify mental retardation.IQ tests can detect certain abilities. But just because a person has a high IQ it does not say anything about his/her motivation or success later in life.

9. Feb 16, 2012 #8

Evo

To not insinuate that you were mentally retarded due to a low score.

10. Feb 16, 2012 #9
    I did not have a low score, my score was above average. I was simply much lower in one area than others. Clearly you are not knowledgeable in the area of learning disabilities.

11. Feb 16, 2012 #10

Evo

Then what's your beef?

12. Feb 16, 2012 #11
    I have no "beef," I am simply questioning the majority. If no one were to question the majority then there would have been no advances in science.

EDIT:
    I can see how I might have been taken as defensive.

13. Feb 16, 2012 #12

Evo

That's fair. Do you think they managed to assess you correctly or incorrectly?

14. Feb 16, 2012 #13
    I do think they assessed me correctly, I don't think they have assessed everyone correctly. I think that it is only a matter of time before someone discovers a better way. For understanding intelligence in general I mean.

15. Feb 16, 2012 #14
    I don't know the whole method used but I'm sure they don't rely exclusively on an IQ test to determine a learning disability. There must be supplemental evaluations involved. In any event, the real point is to have some kind of data on paper that can be used to get someone access to any dedicated programs and financial help they made need if they have a disability.

A lot of people who receive a negative sounding classification of any kind may misunderstand it as a sort of officially sanctioned social stigma. (In the wrong hands it can have that effect, but that's incidental.) The actual point, is to have something quantified on paper according to some defensible, accepted standards to free up money and resources, or justify diversion into an appropriate learning situation. Legal red tape.

As to IQ tests; they're an excellent indicator as to how well a person may be expected to do on future IQ tests.

16. Feb 16, 2012 #15
    IQ tests? It is not that simple:wink: anymore.

http://www.best-career-match.com/multiple-intelligences.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  17. Feb 17, 2012 #16

wukunlin

Gold Member

the last time I took an IQ test was around 4th grade as well. The results weren't pretty, I shouldn't even be able to tie my own shoelaces. But my teachers also realize my marks consistently rank among the top 5 in the class.

I ended up getting a lecture on not taking the test seriously.

18. Feb 17, 2012 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You won't find a large fanbase for IQ tests around here, ironically perhaps, among folks who probably "tested well."

A high IQ score, plus a dollar, will get you a coke (as long as you have another quarter).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook