Iranian speedboats threaten US ships.

• News
  • Thread starter drankin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ships
In summary, a group of terrorists captured an Englishman, a Canadian, and an American and asked them for their last words. The Englishman spoke about loyalty to the crown, the Canadian spoke about national identity and secession, and the American jokingly asked to be shot before the Canadian could start talking.
I wonder what the boxes were that they dropped. Explosives? Maybe, that alone could be perceived as a hostile action.

The laws we live by in America, we only need to be convinced that our lives or the lives of another is jeopardized in order to exercise lethal force to stop it. I don't see why international law would be any different. Those ships could have legally sunk those boats based on the information I've read so far. They simply chose not to. I wonder if the IRG will try that stunt again, a little closer next time. Whoever is commanding a ship at that time may not be so forgiving.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gokul43201 said:
http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=34207[/quote]

Eh, when they said speedboats, they really ment speedboats. Not even visibly armed. Two men each, in bright red lifevests of the good-for-search-and-rescue variety. Messages like "...ships will explode" which mean exactly nothing and directed to the adversary at that -- "Coming to impact your ships, but we're fair and give you a sporting chance to react (even if we know that your Phalanx systems will intercept supersonic skimmers at point blank range)."

How incredibly hostile.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)

Last edited by a moderator:
caslav.ilic said:
Eh, when they said speedboats, they really ment speedboats. Not even visibly armed. Two mean each, in bright red lifevests of the good-for-search-and-rescue variety. Messages like "...ships will explode" which mean exactly nothing and directed to the adversary at that -- "Coming to impact your ships, but we're fair and give you a sporting chance to react (even if we know that your Phalanx systems will intercept supersonic skimmers at point blank range)."

How incredibly hostile.

--

All it takes is the perception of hostility to justify it. If they had sunk those boats, the story we would have gotten would be a lot different.

Art said:
I'm confused by your post. Why would the US be legally entitled to sink Iranian vessels who are also exercising their right to sail in international waters or do you think only the US have this right?
This is very simple, Art. The Iranian boats were acting overtly hostile, and therefore the American ships would have been justified in acting in self-defense.
When a Chinese submarine surfaced in the middle of a US battle fleet recently I don't remember the same indignation and boasts of how kind the US were not to sink it.
That was an accident. This clearly was not.
Are there different international laws and standards depending on the countries involved.

From a neutral viewpoint...
Neutral? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Are you actually serious? C'mon, Art. You've been here long enough, you don't fool anyone. The facts of this incident are clear.

caslav.ilic said:
Eh, when they said speedboats, they really ment speedboats. Not even visibly armed.
Do you have a source for that? I don't think it is correct.
An ad-hoc armed speedboat could do no more damage than visibly unarmed speedboat for that matter, namely that of around 10-30 dead servicemen and one destroyer in need of tugging.
Just to make sure everyone is clear here, when the news says "speedboats", people think civilian pleasure/racing boats (aka cigarette boats) with deck-mounted machine guns like you sometimes see in the movies. That's not what we're dealing with here. The boats were gunboats - most news sources I saw did actually use the correct wording. They are specially-designed military boats with deck-mounted guns (up to 3") and anti-ship missiles, potentially capable of sinking a US Navy ship. Think USS Stark, not USS Cole.

Gunboats are "speedboats" in that they have planing hulls and big engines, which allow them to go much faster (up to 40mph) than ships with displacement hulls. It's probably a stock photo on this article:

http://www.gulfnews.com/region/Iran/10180305.html

...but here's a list of what Iran actually has: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_Iranian_Navy_Vessels

If I had to guess, it was probably the small Chinese craft, not the larger French one which is pictured in that article. According to the Wik link, the French one had American supplied Harpoon ASMs, but they ran out. That gunboat boat does have a larger deck-mounted gun, though.

Art said:
It was stated as a fact that the Iranian speedboats acted illegally I am asking for the proof of this claim. A very straightforward request.

btw The Iranian account of the incident is that this was SOP, they asked the US ships to identify themselves and once they had done so they left them alone. They also deny any threats were made so it would be good if the US gov't were to clear up that point by making the tapes available of the radio interchange.
The facts of the case are clear, so really what matters is if you accept them or not. You seem to be implying here that you will not, so there really isn't anything to discuss, is there?

But let's start with this: assuming you did accept the US account, would you agree these three actions are overtly hostile:

1. Dropping objects into the water in the path of the ships.
2. Making an overt threat (something to the effect of "we are going to blow you up").
3. Steaming at high speed toward the US fleet, coming within a few hundred yards of it.

I suspect you will simply refuse to accept the facts as reported, so this is probably just pointless. BTW, you have not provided an account of what happened or evidence to support it. It is reasonable for us to assume that you've at least read the article in the OP, so you already know these facts. There is nothing for us to substantiate.

Art said:
It was also stated as a fact that Iran is a rogue nation...I am sure it is a badge they wear with honour.
Indeed they do. It, and the band of psychopaths that support them in it, is what allows them to get away with actions like this. They revel in it. They must see how 'I'm crazy, appease me or I'll do something crazy!' has worked for 'lil Kim, and they follow the same mo.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
caslav.ilic said:
Eh, when they said speedboats, they really ment speedboats. Not even visibly armed. [...]

Do you have a source for that? I don't think it is correct. [...] The boats were gunboats[...]
Check the US Navy links that I quoted when making the statement (after Gokul43201 pointed to them few posts above).

My first impression of the report was that of small enclosed boats with a single MG mount on the front deck, but the photos clearly show them to be unarmed, with crews in plain view of the warships.

But let's start with this: assuming you did accept the US account [...]

Although this question is not directed at me, let me state that I do take reports as accurate, as otherwise this discussion would make no sense (anyone could hypothesize anything). In light of that:

[...] would you agree these three actions are overtly hostile:

I entirely disagree that these three actions are overtly hostile -- and so does the Pentagon ("...potentially hostile...") What is more important, there isn't chance in hell that these actions could be interpreted as an act of agression under international law, the only thing which would permit a warship to open fire -- which the State Department agrees with too ("...no formal protest...")

Irrelevant. Without the examination of the objects, of which none was given, random objects cannot be considered weapons, and their release cannot be considered an act of aggression.

2. Making an overt threat (something to the effect of "we are going to blow you up").

Irrelevant. Noone said "we are going to blow you up"; "something to the effect of" interpretations are just that, arbitrary interpretations.

3. Steaming at high speed toward the US fleet, coming within a few hundred yards of it.

Irrelevant. I did give a link towards an abriged guide to the UN Law of the Sea, anyone is welcome to find articles prohibiting such behavior in international waters. Especially in case of unarmed vessels approching warships capable of vaporizing them in an instant.

Firing based on these facts alone, would be less justified then a person six feet tall, visibly armed, gun ready in the hand, shooting to kill an unarmed skinny person circling two metres away and murmuring "you're ******* dead!" (Please don't someone respond "yeah, in Texas we damn well could!", because even if so, the event did not take place in Texas.)

--

russ_watters said:
... They must see how 'I'm crazy, appease me or I'll do something crazy!' has worked for
Bush
russ_watters said:
...and they follow the same mo.

russ_watters said:
The facts of the case are clear, so really what matters is if you accept them or not. You seem to be implying here that you will not, so there really isn't anything to discuss, is there?

But let's start with this: assuming you did accept the US account, would you agree these three actions are overtly hostile:

I suspect you will simply refuse to accept the facts as reported, so this is probably just pointless. BTW, you have not provided an account of what happened or evidence to support it. It is reasonable for us to assume that you've at least read the article in the OP, so you already know these facts. There is nothing for us to substantiate.
Mmmm so it boils down to no you can't support your claim that Iran acted illegally. Why not just admit you made that up to lend false legitimacy to your argument?

As for overt hostility; the captains involved make no such claim and neither does the pentagon which is why I guess you felt the need to support your personal contention with fictitious law.

russ_watters said:
That was an accident. This clearly was not.
An accident! lol You obviously missed the less than subtle point the Chinese were making so here's a clue, it was similar to the point made when they shot down a satellite or did you think that was another accident?

American military chiefs have been left dumbstruck by an undetected Chinese submarine popping up at the heart of a recent Pacific exercise and close to the vast U.S.S. Kitty Hawk - a 1,000ft supercarrier with 4,500 personnel on board.

By the time it surfaced the 160ft Song Class diesel-electric attack submarine is understood to have sailed within viable range for launching torpedoes or missiles at the carrier.

According to senior Nato officials the incident caused consternation in the U.S. Navy.

The Americans had no idea China's fast-growing submarine fleet had reached such a level of sophistication, or that it posed such a threat.

One Nato figure said the effect was "as big a shock as the Russians launching Sputnik" - a reference to the Soviet Union's first orbiting satellite in 1957 which marked the start of the space age.

The incident, which took place in the ocean between southern Japan and Taiwan, is a major embarrassment for the Pentagon.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=492804&in_page_id=1811

China rattles America's cage with satellite shot
The test comes mere months after the US revamped its space policy, taking a more militaristic tone than in the past. The policy scrupulously avoided any commitment not to develop space-based weapons.

It doesn't take much imagination to see China's missile launch, which it has yet to confirm, as a reply to the US's new policy.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/19/china_satellite/

Notice a pattern developing?

Art,

Your hypocrisy is noted, as is your deception. I can guarrantee you that your life your everyday life contrary to your pretense here.

If a group of persons started running at you screaming "You going to die mutha-&^%&..."
you wouldn't claim that was non-provocative. You'd probably stand flat footed with your mouth open, but that's another matter.

There is now videofootage of the event in question. It now turns out that the "prepare to explode" message was broadcast in english.

Perhaps your mind is too clouded to understand the potential harm that could be caused by people probing a military vessel's military response. Or perhaps it's something else entirely...

Either way, the truth is transparent.

I have a question...why is it that when someone questions the current administration, its policies, or something the military may or may not have done, why is that person labeled as unpatriotic, anti-American, or that they hate America?

seycyrus said:
Art,

Your hypocrisy is noted, as is your deception. I can guarrantee you that your life your everyday life contrary to your pretense here.

If a group of persons started running at you screaming "You going to die mutha-&^%&..."
you wouldn't claim that was non-provocative. You'd probably stand flat footed with your mouth open, but that's another matter.

There is now videofootage of the event in question. It now turns out that the "prepare to explode" message was broadcast in english.

Perhaps your mind is too clouded to understand the potential harm that could be caused by people probing a military vessel's military response. Or perhaps it's something else entirely...

Either way, the truth is transparent.
More strawman arguments :rolleyes: I didn't say it wasn't provocative I questioned if it was illegal as claimed.

Acting in a childish and irritating manner doesn't give just cause for the recipient on the receiving end of such behaviour to blow their tormentors to pieces as some here have advocated. That would be a gross over-reaction.

Also this is not such an unusual event which makes one wonder if the administration has an agenda in blowing this up into a major incident

Defense Secretary Robert Gates, speaking aboard the USS New Orleans pierside in San Diego, told reporters on Monday ''it would be nice to see the Iranian government disavow this action and say that it won't happen again.''

Gates said there had been two or three similar incidents -- ''maybe not quite as dramatic'' -- over the past year. He offered no details, but one Navy official said there have been several similar incidents that involved ''aggressive maneuvering'' by small boats in the Gulf. In one instance, a U.S. Navy vessel fired warning shots across the bow of the small boat, said the official, who requested anonymity because details of the earlier encounters have not been made public.

The official said that while at least one of the small boats in the Sunday confrontation was flying an Iranian flag, that was not the case in the earlier incidents. Thus, while there is suspicion that they may have been Iranian boats, it is not certain.
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-US-Navy-Iran.html

daveb said:
I have a question...why is it that when someone questions the current administration, its policies, or something the military may or may not have done, why is that person labeled as unpatriotic, anti-American, or that they hate America?

When one uses illogical argument to contrive positions that they would not take in their ordinay life, it is proper to point point out that they might have certain motivations.

Art said:
More strawman arguments :rolleyes: I didn't say it wasn't provocative I questioned if it was illegal as claimed.

You chose to quibble on a point, attempting to distract from the "threaten" title of the thread.

Art said:
Acting in a childish and irritating manner doesn't give just cause for the recipient on the receiving end of such behaviour to blow their tormentors to pieces as some here have advocated. That would be a gross over-reaction.]

Yes it does. We are talking about military vessels here.

Again you are trying lighten the issue. Ahh, it was only "childish" and "irritating", I see ...

Sorry Charlie, that doesn't float.

Art said:
Also this is not such an unusual event which makes one wonder if the administration has an agenda in blowing this up into a major incident

It's not unusual? They do it on a "usual" basis? Sounds like they are rapidly approaching ther freebies, where we don't blow them to smithereens.

seycyrus said:
When one uses illogical argument to contrive positions that they would not take in their ordinay life, it is proper to point point out that they might have certain motivations.

Perhaps so, but there is a huge difference between pointing out they may have certain motivations, and outright accusing them of hatred towards the America. One does not necessarily follow from the other.

seycyrus said:
You chose to quibble on a point.
lol Therein lies the problem. You appear to see the mass of law governing the relationships between countries as irrelevant whereas civilised people see them as very important, carefully thought out and well constructed rules to be abided by.

seycyrus said:
It's not unusual? They do it on a "usual" basis? Sounds like they are rapidly approaching ther freebies, where we don't blow them to smithereens.
:confused: Could you translate this into English please?

daveb said:
Perhaps so, but there is a huge difference between pointing out they may have certain motivations, and outright accusing them of hatred towards the America. One does not necessarily follow from the other.

You are free to offer alternative interpretations of their motivations and also assign motivations to my statements.

Art said:
lol Therein lies the problem. You appear to see the mass of law governing the relationships between countries as irrelevant whereas civilised people see them as very important, carefully thought out and well constructed rules to be abided by.?

Not even close, nice try tho.

I see through your attempts to reduce these matters which are rightly taken as serious to simple "irritating" and "childish" behaviors.

Art said:
:confused: Could you translate this into English please?

If it's being done all the time, it is being done as a matter of policy. Therefore a more severe response would be warranted.

seycyrus said:
You are free to offer alternative interpretations of their motivations and also assign motivations to my statements.

Offering alternative interpretations is irrelevant, as is assigning motivations to your statements. I am merely trying to get people to understand that calling someone unpatriotic for questioning administration policies is an ad hominem attack that does nothing to support your position, nor does it undermine theirs (at least from a debating the issues perspective).

daveb, art is not even American. Hes just anti-us from across the pond.

russ_watters said:
Do you have a source for that? I don't think it is correct.
Just to make sure everyone is clear here, when the news says "speedboats", people think civilian pleasure/racing boats (aka cigarette boats) with deck-mounted machine guns like you sometimes see in the movies. That's not what we're dealing with here.
Russ, have you seen the video?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7177946.stm

As expected, IRG is claiming the video was faked by the US Navy!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7178878.stm

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
daveb, art is not even American. Hes just anti-us from across the pond.
Does that mean ad-hominem attacks are alright then?

Cyrus as I am sure you know I am not anti-US in the slightest. I am anti-jingoistic warmongering though.

This penchant some people have for giving a dog a bad name and then obliterating it makes for a dangerous world. Despite the lessons which should have been learned from the disaster that was Iraq it seems there are still a lot of Ramboesque characters around gleefully cheering on the next debacle. The US commanders on the scene did very well as they appeared to handle the situation with aplomb. It is a pity some of the posters here do not show the same common sense and restraint.

Art said:
Does that mean ad-hominem attacks are alright then?

Cyrus as I am sure you know I am not anti-US in the slightest. I am anti-jingoistic warmongering though.

This penchant some people have for giving a dog a bad name and then obliterating it makes for a dangerous world. Despite the lessons which should have been learned from the disaster that was Iraq it seems there are still a lot of Ramboesque characters around gleefully cheering on the next debacle. The US commanders on the scene did very well as they appeared to handle the situation with aplomb. It is a pity some of the posters here do not show the same common sense and restraint.

Obviously they did not feel they were an imminent threat or they'd be sunk. I think it is obvious that those boats were trying to provoke a response or at least harass. It caused the ships to deviate from their course. If they continue to harass warships in this way, what do you suggest should be done, Art?

drankin said:
Obviously they did not feel they were an imminent threat or they'd be sunk. I think it is obvious that those boats were trying to provoke a response or at least harass. It caused the ships to deviate from their course. If they continue to harass warships in this way, what do you suggest should be done, Art?
Exactly what the US commanders on the scene did do. As I said, I think they behaved very professionally. The problem was solved with no loss of life, a win-win where everybody went home happy. I'd be pretty sure the US commanders have rules of engagement which comply with international law and so as long as they abide by these rules I don't see a problem.

I think you are missing the point of my posts. I object to folk making totally spurious claims that the Iranians' actions were illegal and that in consequence the US ships had a legal right to blow them away. Claims such as that per the rules of this forum require substantiation.

Art said:
Exactly what the US commanders on the scene did do. As I said, I think they behaved very professionally. The problem was solved with no loss of life, a win-win where everybody went home happy.

You didn't answer my question, Art. What should be done if they continue to harass warships in this way? Their harassment is unjust, provocative, and potentially dangerous even if no shots are ever fired.

Art said:
Exactly what the US commanders on the scene did do. As I said, I think they behaved very professionally. The problem was solved with no loss of life, a win-win where everybody went home happy.

hmmmm...

Art said:
btw The Iranian account of the incident is that this was SOP, they asked the US ships to identify themselves and once they had done so they left them alone. They also deny any threats were made so it would be good if the US gov't were to clear up that point by making the tapes available of the radio interchange.

Good ole trusty Iranian governments version of things. Total nonsense to the core, as usual.

Those boats were wayyyy to close to US ships. Had they moved an inch closer I would have fully supported blowing them into little pieces.

Does the video from the Navy show any guns on the boats at all, or the "prepare to explode" message broadcast in English, or the boxes being dropped into the water for that matter? I've just seen low quality streams of it so far, like the one Gokul posted, and at least in those I'm not seeing anything of the sort.

I don't care if they said nothing, and dropped nothing. You don't race around a warship the way they did.

Cyrus said:
I don't care if they said nothing, and dropped nothing.
Do you also not care if our government fabricated claims to the contrary?
Cyrus said:
You don't race around a warship the way they did.
Seems you can if you want, or at least I've yet to see any law agaisnt it.

Of course I do, what's your point?

If your stupid enough to take your speed boat and do high speed passes by a warship, you deserve just as much to be shot at.

kyleb said:

Seems you can if you want, or at least I've yet to see any law agaisnt it.

Is there a law against blowing a potentially hostile boat out of the water? If there is, please show me.

Cyrus said:
Of course I do, what's your point?
My point is that the video doesn't back the claims being made about the incident.

drankin said:
Is there a law against blowing a potentially hostile boat out of the water? If there is, please show me.
I'm no expert on the Law of the Sea, but I'd be mighty supprised if there isn't some law which prohibits attacking vessels for simply making high speed passes. Otherwise there are a lot of jet skiers who I should have RPG'ed the last time I went boating.

It seems funny to me all things said to ART always seems to relay back that its president Bushes fault or US foriegn policy, but why would unmarked Iranian gun boats bluff an attack on a Navy squadron? Testing the Navy's reactions? Standing up to the great satan appeals to the Iranian Nationalist, it goes deeper then most people think, the Khomeinist radical Amadinejad knows that standing up to the US strengthens them. Irans domestic problems seem to be getting worse seeding a lot more street demonstrations, regarding their economy and their political positions, as this gets worse , so will their willingness to be confrontational especially at a time while president bush is in the Middle East.

I doubt there is any law specifically. In other words it's at the descretion of the acting captain of the vessel to determine if he is threatened and within his authority to defend his crew as is necessary.