Irradiances of polarized and unpolarized beams

  • Thread starter Thread starter mogul28
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Beams
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
mogul28
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A beam of light is composed of a mixture of unpolarized and linearly polarized waves. The beam is analyzed with a polarizer. As the transmission axis is rotated, the transmitted irradiance varies from a maximum I[max] to a minimum of 1/3 I[max]. What is the ratio of the irradiances of the polarized and unpolarized beams?

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


i got the ratio as 1. can u verify my answer?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi mogul28! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

(same with your other three threads)
 
mogul28 said:
I got the ratio as 1. can you verify my answer?

how do you get 1 ? :confused:
 
Step 1: find V
Step 2: equate that to the ratio of Ip/(Ip+Iu)