1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative intensity of polarized and unpolarized light in incident beam

1. Jun 6, 2010 #1
    1. A beam of light is a mixture of polarized light and unpolarized light. When it is sent through a Polaroid sheet, we find that the transmitted intensity can be varied by a factor of five depending on the orientation of the Polaroid. Find the relative intensities of these two components of the incident beam.

2. Relevant equations:
    unpolarized light: I' = 1/2*Io'
    polarized light: I = Iocos^2(Φ)

3. The attempt at a solution:
    The intensity of transmitted unpolarized light will always be 1/2 the incident beam's intensity since it does not depend on the orientation of the Polaroid. The greatest the intensity of transmitted light from a polarized beam is equal to the intensity of the incident beam I = Io (when the axis of transmission is parallel to the electric field component). Since the two transmitted beams can vary by a factor of five, I've set 5I' = I and then substituted the equations for each (with the polarized intensity being equal to the incident beam intensity) resulting in Io' = 10*Io.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted