I think the OP's question was about applications of the fact that certain real numbers are irrational, not the applications of real numbers which happen to be irrational. Yes, irrational numbers occur all the time, but how often do we ever use the fact that they are irrational? Would our lives be affected in any way if we still believed, as the ancient Greeks once did, that all real numbers were rational? No, I don't think so. Whether a real number can be written as a terminating decimal or not probably doesn't matter, and whether a real number can be written as a periodic decimal or not definitely doesn't matter.
However, the statement that, for example, the square root of two is irrational can be written as a statement of number theory, and some results in number theory do have certain applications in the field of cryptography. So maybe one day people will use their knowledge of numbers being irrational to secure your email account. But don't hold your breath.
I am a freshman in college double majoring in physics and math, and I have taken Calculus, Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Real Analysis, and am currently taking Differential Equations.