Irrational^rational = rational

• Thread starter caters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rational
In summary, some irrational numbers raised to rational powers can be rational, such as in the case of √2^4 = 4. However, the irrational number must be algebraic for this to be possible. If the exponent is zero, the result is always rational. But if the exponent is non-zero, then the irrational number must be transcendental and the result will also be transcendental.
caters
Is it true that in some cases an irrational number raised to a rational power is rational? If so what kinds of irrational numbers?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes. For your first question note that √22 = 2. For your second question all number of this form should be algebraic.

Edit: As Mark44 pointed out below I need to add the caveat that the exponent be non-zero for my second claim to hold.

Last edited:
It's also worth pointing out that irrational to the irrational can be rational.

The Gelfond-Schneider theorem says: if ##a## and ##b## are algebraic, with ##a \neq 1,0## and ##b## irrational, then ##a^b## is transcendental.

This means that ##\sqrt{2}^{\sqrt{2}}## is transcendental (hence irrational). Raise this to the power of ##\sqrt{2}## and you get 2.

Likes 2 people
caters said:
Is it true that in some cases an irrational number raised to a rational power is rational? If so what kinds of irrational numbers?
A very simple example is ##\pi^0 = 1##.
##\pi## is irrational, and 0 is rational.

if the order of the root is say x, and the power you raise are multiples of x , then it becomes a rational number(or if the power is 0)
example:√2^4=4

Note that the irrational number has to be algebraic. A transcendental number raised to a rational power cannot be rational. In fact, it must still be transcendental.

HallsofIvy said:
Note that the irrational number has to be algebraic. A transcendental number raised to a rational power cannot be rational. In fact, it must still be transcendental.

Mark44 said:
A very simple example is ##\pi^0 = 1##.
##\pi## is irrational, and 0 is rational.

Isn't there a contradiction here?

DrClaude said:
Isn't there a contradiction here?

I think you just became a candidate for the Fields medal! :smile:

arildno said:
I think you just became a candidate for the Fields medal! :smile:
No , I just became the candidate for another coffee!

Sorry Mark44, completely missed your humor there...

DrClaude said:
No , I just became the candidate for another coffee!

Sorry Mark44, completely missed your humor there...
That was arildno...

Mark44 said:
That was arildno...
I thought you were trying to be funny by proposing the trivial case "to the power of 0". :redface:

1. What does the term "irrational^rational" mean in mathematics?

The term "irrational^rational" refers to an expression where an irrational number is raised to the power of a rational number. For example, √2^2 would be considered irrational^rational because the square root of 2 is irrational and the power of 2 is rational.

2. Is the result of "irrational^rational" always a rational number?

No, the result of "irrational^rational" is not always a rational number. In fact, it is more likely to be irrational. This is because raising an irrational number to any power (rational or not) will result in an irrational number.

3. Can irrational numbers be raised to irrational powers?

Yes, irrational numbers can be raised to irrational powers. For example, √2^√2 is a valid expression. However, the result will almost always be irrational and cannot be simplified to a rational number.

4. How is "irrational^rational" different from "rational^irrational"?

The difference between "irrational^rational" and "rational^irrational" is the order in which the numbers are raised to each other. In "irrational^rational", the irrational number is the base and the rational number is the exponent. In "rational^irrational", the rational number is the base and the irrational number is the exponent. The result of "rational^irrational" can be rational or irrational, depending on the numbers involved.

5. What are some real-life applications of "irrational^rational"?

"Irrational^rational" can be seen in many real-life situations, such as calculating compound interest or radioactive decay. In these cases, the irrational number represents the growth or decay rate, and the rational number represents the time or number of cycles. It can also be used in physics and engineering for calculations involving power and energy.