Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irreducible linear operator is cyclic

1. Jan 1, 2015 #1
    I´m having a hard time proving the next result:
    Let [itex] T:V→V [/itex] be a linear operator on a finite dimensional vector space [itex] V [/itex] . If [itex] T [/itex] is irreducible then [itex] T [/itex] cyclic.
    My definitions are: [itex] T [/itex] is an irreducible linear operator iff [itex] V [/itex] and {[itex] {\vec 0} [/itex]} are the only complementary invariant subspaces.
    T is cyclic linear operator iff V is a cyclic vector space (i.e. there is a vector [itex] \vec v ∈ V [/itex] such that [itex] V [/itex] is generated by the set of vectors {[itex] { \vec v, T(\vec v), T^{2}(\vec v),...} [/itex]}

I was trying to do it by contradiction: suppose [itex] T [/itex] is not a cyclic linar operator then [itex] ∀ \vec v ∈ V [/itex] the generated space by the set {[itex] { \vec v, T(\vec v), T^{2}(\vec v),...} [/itex]} is not equal to [itex] V [/itex] also if [itex] \vec v \neq \vec 0 [/itex] then [itex]span [/itex] { [itex]\vec v, T(\vec v), T^{2}(\vec v),... [/itex] } is not equal to [itex] {\vec 0} [/itex].

Moreover [itex]span [/itex] {[itex] \vec v, T(\vec v), T^{2}(\vec v),... [/itex] } is invariant (I´ve already proven it); also I know that every subspace has a complement that is : [itex] ∃ W [/itex] subspace of V such that [itex] W ⊕ span[/itex]{[itex] \vec v, T(\vec v), T^{2}(\vec v),... [/itex]} [itex] = V [/itex]

Then I think a just need to prove that the complementary subspace [itex] W [/itex] is invariant that is : [itex] T(W)⊆ W [/itex] but this is the part that I´m having trouble.

Any comment, suggestion, hint would be highly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2015 #2

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the span of a non-zero vector,v, is not the whole space then there is a vector ,w ,which is not in the span of v. The span of w is a second cyclic subspace. Both of these subspaces are irreducible and invariant. So what is their intersection?

4. Jan 2, 2015 #3
    But how can we know that T(w) is not in span{v,T(v),...} ?

5. Jan 3, 2015 #4

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By assumption, w is not in the span of v.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook