Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irreducible Polynomials p 5 degree 4

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    I am attempting to construct a field containing 625 elements and should be in the form Zn[x] mod f(x).

Factoring 625 leads to 5^4. So I'm guessing my field will be GF(5^4). So in order for me to construct a field with all elements in it, I need f(x) to be some irreducible polynomial mod 5 of degree 4.

How can I go about finding irreducible polynomials? I know I can choose all the polynomials below degree 4 with coefficients mod 5 and attempt to find one without factors, but that would take forever. Is there a quick way to do this or a list of precomputed irreducible polynomials given GF(p^n) where p is prime and n is greater than 1??

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can't imagine anyone's bothered to precompute anything. The solution is to think about F_5, the field with 5 elements, and decide if you know any polynomial that every element of F_5 satisfies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?