Is 19 = x^2 mod p solvable? p=68659

• Thread starter quila
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a prime number, quadratic reciprocity, and using a calculator or program to find the solution. The solution ultimately depends on the congruency of the numbers and can be solved by solving for a specific value of K.
quila
Can some one tell me how to figure out if this is solvable or not?

For the Prime number p=68659,

19=x^2 mod p.

Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a matter in quadratic reciprocity. Since 68659 and 19 are both prime and congruent to 3 modulo 4. The problem depends upon applying that case.

So if it ends up equaling 1 it will be solvable, and if it ends up equaling -1 it won't be solvable? If it is solvable, how do you solve it?

You'll have to do a little more reading on your own.

k, thanks

If you want to spend time calculating it:

[tex]41637^2-19 = (25250)(68659)[/tex]

hmmm...I have no clue how you did that. Could you give me a hint or something, i.e. the name of the procedure?

I just ran a calculator, however, you would have to go through 25250 terms, so I had to shorten that. The fact is all odd squares are congruent to 1 Mod 8. Both 19 and 68659 and congruent to 3 Mod 8. So to solve the equation X^2 = 19 + 68659K, we must have K==2 Mod 8. Thus K=2+8J.

So we are left with the form X^2 = 19 + 137318 + 549272(J) = 137337 + 549272(J). So the program runs much faster now through values of J. J = 3156.

But, if you'd go back to how the problem is supposed to be worked, such details are unnecessary.

robert Ihnot said:
I just ran a calculator, however, you would have to go through 25250 terms, so I had to shorten that. The fact is all odd squares are congruent to 1 Mod 8. Both 19 and 68659 and congruent to 3 Mod 8. So to solve the equation X^2 = 19 + 68659K, we must have K==2 Mod 8. Thus K=2+8J.

So we are left with the form X^2 = 19 + 137318 + 549272(J) = 137337 + 549272(J). So the program runs much faster now through values of J. J = 3156.

But, if you'd go back to how the problem is supposed to be worked, such details are unnecessary.
OK how do you work the problem x^2 = 7 mod 67 since according to the law of quadratic recprocity there is a solution. I have

X^2 = 7 + 67K where K = 2 + 8J
X^2 = 7 + 134 + 536J = 141 + 536J

Where do we go from here?

Shouldn't that be K = -2 + 8J?

A highly inefficient Pari/GP program will give the answer in 63 milliseconds. I'm sure that code could be optimized to run in less than 10 ms, but why bother?

if [tex]19^{(p-1)/2}[/tex] [tex]\equiv[/tex] +1 mod p then your congruence is solvable

Ramsey2879: OK how do you work the problem x^2 = 7 mod 67 since according to the law of quadratic recprocity there is a solution.

What solution? Both 67 and 7 are congruent to 3 mod 4. So since x^2==67==4 Mod 7 has a solution, your problem does not.

CRGreathouse: A highly inefficient Pari/GP program will give the answer in 63 milliseconds. I'm sure that code could be optimized to run in less than 10 ms, but why bother?

As far as what I was working on, I only used a old HP 15c, which does about 60 to 100 things a minute.

al-mahed: if 19^((p-1)/2) == +1 mod p then your congruence is solvable.

That's true, but its easier to use quadratic reciprocity. We look at X^2 ==68659 ==12 Mod 19, which is the same as (X/2)^2 == 3 Mod 19, and then reverse again getting X^2==19==1 Mod 3.

Since the cases are congruent to 3 Mod 4, the last equation is easily seen to be true, so the previous equation is false and so the original problem is true, i.e. has a solution.

Last edited:

1. What does the equation "19 = x^2 mod p" mean?

The equation means that 19 is congruent to x^2 modulo p, where p is a prime number. This means that when x^2 is divided by p, the remainder is equal to 19.

2. Can the equation be solved for x?

It depends on the value of p. If p is a prime number that satisfies certain conditions, then the equation is solvable for x. Otherwise, it may not have a solution.

3. What is the significance of p=68659 in this equation?

The value of p=68659 is important because it determines whether the equation is solvable or not. This value is a prime number, so the equation is solvable for x.

4. How can I solve this equation for x?

To solve the equation, you will need to use modular arithmetic principles and techniques. You can also use tools such as a calculator or computer program to help with the calculations. Alternatively, you can consult a mathematician or attend a math course to learn more about solving equations like this one.

5. Are there any real-world applications for this equation?

Yes, this equation has applications in cryptography and coding theory. It can also be used in various mathematical and scientific problems that involve modular arithmetic and prime numbers.