Is 3He:4He Ratio Redundant in Scientific Writing?

  • Topic: Lingusitics 
  • Thread starter Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Language
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Messages
1,125
Reaction score
5
"A high 3He:4He ratio signifies..."
I'm thinking that since the colon between the isotopes shows that it is a ratio already, using the word 'ratio' afterwards is a bit like writing PIN number. Is it acceptable to write it like this or should i get rid of the word 'ratio'?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To a mathematician, the word "ratio" might seem redundant, but the phrase scans better with the word included, IMO.
 
I've always taken the colon in such applications to represent the word 'to', since that's the way it's spoken. In that case, the inclusion of the word 'ratio' is correct.
 
Or you could write it like this to avoid the redundancy but still keep it clear:

"A high ratio 3He:4He signifies..."
 
matthyaouw said:
"A high 3He:4He ratio signifies..."
I'm thinking that since the colon between the isotopes shows that it is a ratio already, using the word 'ratio' afterwards is a bit like writing PIN number. Is it acceptable to write it like this or should i get rid of the word 'ratio'?
I would prefer in a previous sentence to say once that 3He:4He is a ratio and not need to be redundant.