Is 7^n-1 Divisible by 6 for All Non-Negative Integers n? Prove with Induction

  • Thread starter Thread starter jonroberts74
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
jonroberts74
Messages
189
Reaction score
0
prove (induction) [tex]6|7^{n}-1; \forall n \ge 0[/tex]






P(0)

[tex]6|7^0 -1[/tex]

6|0

P(k)


[tex]6|7^k-1[/tex]


what I want to show: [tex]6|7^{k+1}-1[/tex]




I know I'll kick myself but this one isn't jumping out at me.

[tex]7 \cdot 7^k-1[/tex]

maybe something with [tex](6+1)^k(6+1)-1[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You undoubtly know the formulas ##x^2 - a^2 = (x-a)(x+a)## and ##x^3 - a^3 = (x-a)(a^2 + ax+ x^2)##. Do you know how it generalizes to ##x^n - a^n##?
 
[tex]x^n−a^n=(x−a)(x^{n−1}+x^{n−2}a+x^{n−3}a^2+…+xa^{n−2}+a^{n−1})[/tex]

so

replace x with 7 and a with 1??
 
Last edited:
jonroberts74 said:
[tex]x^n−a^n=(x−a)(x^{n−1}+x^{n−2}a+x^{n−3}a^2+…+xa^{n−2}+a^{n−1})[/tex]

so

replace x with 7 and a with 1??

Yep!
 
[tex]7^{k+1}−1^{k+1}=(7−1)(x^{k}+7^{k−1}1+7^{k−2}1^2+…+(7)1^{k−1}+1^{k})[/tex]

I had to alter it cause its k+1, correct?
 
jonroberts74 said:
[tex]7^{k+1}−1^{k+1}=(7−1)(x^{k}+7^{k−1}1+7^{k−2}1^2+…+(7)1^{k−1}+1^{k})[/tex]

I had to alter it cause its k+1, correct?

Sure, this is correct. Notice that you don't really need induction for this!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
With induction you don't really need that long sum:
If [itex]7^k- 1[/itex] is a multiple of 6 then [itex]7^k- 1= 6m[/itex] for some integer m so that [itex]7^k= 6m+ 1[/itex].

[tex]7^{k+1}- 1= 7(7^k)- 1= 7(6m+1)- 1= 6(7m)+ 7- 1= 6(7m)+ 6= 6(7m+1)[/tex]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
With induction you don't really need that long sum:
Is [itex]7^k- 1[/itex] is a multiple of 6 then [itex]7^k- 1= 6m[/itex] for some integer m so that [itex]7^k= 6m+ 1[/itex].

[tex]7^{k+1}- 1= 7(7^k)- 1= 7(6m+1)- 1= 6(7m)+ 7- 1= 6(7m)+ 6= 6(7m+1)[/tex]

Yes. If you were told to use induction this seems to be more like what they wanted you to do.