Is a Line Parallel to the Y-Axis a Function?

In summary: So i guess my teacher didnt elaborate good this exercice, becos we are in Calculus 1, and we are studying as function of XIn summary, the conversation discusses finding the point Q that is perpendicular to the x-axis and equidistant from point P. The solution is $Q=(1,2)$ and it is not a function, but can be described geometrically with a constant x-coordinate and a distance from the y-axis that is equal to the absolute value of the y-coordinate of point P. The speaker also mentions that their teacher did not explain this exercise well, as it is related to calculus and functions of x.
Chipset3600
Hello guys, i hv doubt in this question:

"1-Mark the point Q, such that the line through P (1, -2) and Q is perpendicular to the x-axis (the horizontal axis) so that the point Q to point P is equidistant from the axis x. Find the equation of the line."If the line be perpendicular of the X axis, so will be parallel of the Y axis. A line parallel to the axis Y can be a function?
OBS: Sorry about my bad technical English.

Physics news on Phys.org
It can't be a function, but it can be geometrically described. Its property is that the $x$ coordinate is constant. Since it has to pass through $P$, then we necessarily have $x=1$. Since it has to be equidistant to the axis, we need to find the distance of $P$ to it, which is simply the absolute value of the $y$ coordinate. By drawing a figure you can see that the solution is $Q=(1,2)$.

So i guess my teacher didnt elaborate good this exercice, becos we are in Calculus 1, and we are studying as function of X
Fantini said:
It can't be a function, but it can be geometrically described. Its property is that the $x$ coordinate is constant. Since it has to pass through $P$, then we necessarily have $x=1$. Since it has to be equidistant to the axis, we need to find the distance of $P$ to it, which is simply the absolute value of the $y$ coordinate. By drawing a figure you can see that the solution is $Q=(1,2)$.

Related to Is a Line Parallel to the Y-Axis a Function?

1. What is the general form of a linear equation?

The general form of a linear equation is y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. This form is also known as the slope-intercept form.

2. How do you find the slope of a line?

The slope of a line can be found using the formula m = (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1), where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are two points on the line. Alternatively, the slope can also be found by using the rise over run method, where the rise is the change in the y-coordinates and the run is the change in the x-coordinates between two points on the line.

3. What is the y-intercept of a linear equation?

The y-intercept of a linear equation is the value of y when x is equal to 0. It is also the point where the line intersects with the y-axis on a graph.

4. How do you graph a linear equation?

To graph a linear equation, you can use the slope-intercept form to plot the y-intercept, and then use the slope to find additional points on the line. Another method is to use the x and y-intercepts, which can be found by setting x or y equal to 0 and solving for the other variable.

5. How can you tell if two lines are parallel or perpendicular?

If two lines have the same slope, they are parallel. If the slopes of two lines are negative reciprocals of each other, they are perpendicular. This means that when the slopes are multiplied, the result is -1. Alternatively, you can also compare the angles formed by the lines with the x-axis. Parallel lines will have the same angle, while perpendicular lines will have angles that are 90 degrees apart.