Is a Masters in Civil Engineering Necessary for a Career in California?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
sandwhale
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I'm a 3rd year civil engineering major/computer sciences and communication minor. With the economy at the state it is now, is it worth pursuing a masters or should I try to look for a job after college?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not really sure (since I'm also a 3rd year engineering student), and I'm curious about this as well. I did take a look into some interesting statistics though.

Predictions from Moody's Economy.com seems to imply that unemployment will not return to its pre-recession level until around 2014:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32694985/ns/business-stocks_and_economy

It could be off though, and it doesn't elaborate on specific sectors of the job market at all.
 
A Master in Civil Engineering is useful, especially if you want to change area. I'll say go for it. It should be 1 to 1 year and half to finish.
 
Does anyone know they changed the prerequistites for taking the P.E.? I've heard rumors of them requiring a masters degree (or 30 graduate credit hours) in order to qualify to take it, but I've never heard a definitive answer. If that were the case it may influence your decision to go for a masters.
 
I heard that in california after 2011 you'll need a masters to work for the states. I haven't heard any new changes to the P.E., also I'm planning to take the EIT exam this coming spring so I'll see how that goes then decide...