1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Is a maths/science secondary school school/ college teacher a good career?

1. Jan 2, 2008 #1
    Hi,

Anyone a maths teacher or science teacher here?

need advice if i should become a maths teacher?

good prospects?
    good money?

Immy

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2008 #2
    I hope that money is not the only reason you are considering teaching as a career path. We already have enough hacks teaching . Go only into teaching only if your are truly passionate about teaching.

4. Jan 2, 2008 #3
    Those who can do, those who can't teach. So no.

5. Jan 2, 2008 #4
    - If you're in it for the money, don't teach.

If you want to teach in a high school, I would advise you to stay away from schools in bad neighborhoods. I spent a year in a F/D graded school in a heavily ghetto neighborhood. It was not a nice year. I knew the teachers hated the students and probably their jobs. I remember my 12th grade economics teacher leaving in the middle of the year because she feared for her life after receiving threats from a couple of gang members.

6. Jan 3, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

The same message would apply to just about every profession requiring technical qualifications.

7. Jan 3, 2008 #6
    i dont know if this is generally true, but most teachers in urban areas aren't that well paid, and get disrespected alot. I remeber my HS days, i feel sorry for those teachers. i prolly wouldnt mind the pay IF the kids didnt get all rowdy and disruptive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?