Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Is a maths/science secondary school school/ college teacher a good career?

1. Jan 2, 2008 #1
    Hi,

Anyone a maths teacher or science teacher here?

need advice if i should become a maths teacher?

good prospects?
    good money?

Immy

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2008 #2
    I hope that money is not the only reason you are considering teaching as a career path. We already have enough hacks teaching . Go only into teaching only if your are truly passionate about teaching.

4. Jan 2, 2008 #3
    Those who can do, those who can't teach. So no.

5. Jan 2, 2008 #4
    - If you're in it for the money, don't teach.

If you want to teach in a high school, I would advise you to stay away from schools in bad neighborhoods. I spent a year in a F/D graded school in a heavily ghetto neighborhood. It was not a nice year. I knew the teachers hated the students and probably their jobs. I remember my 12th grade economics teacher leaving in the middle of the year because she feared for her life after receiving threats from a couple of gang members.

6. Jan 3, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

The same message would apply to just about every profession requiring technical qualifications.

7. Jan 3, 2008 #6
    i dont know if this is generally true, but most teachers in urban areas aren't that well paid, and get disrespected alot. I remeber my HS days, i feel sorry for those teachers. i prolly wouldnt mind the pay IF the kids didnt get all rowdy and disruptive.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook