Is a physicist limited by their chosen PhD?

In summary, switching fields to accelerate physics may not be the best idea, as the field is in high demand and you may not be as qualified as someone with a physics PhD in a specific subfield.
stardust
I've had a burning question for a long time, and I cannot seem to find reliable information through Google searches. If I get a PhD in let's say, Astrophysics, is it possible for me to switch to mathematical physics(in terms of career/research)? In general, I am uncertain how the academic system works for most doctorates. I get that a chemistry PhD probably cannot work in physics and vice-versa, but I am uncertain how important the specialty of a specific field is (in this case, physics). I would love to work in astrophysics (for the low pay post-docs and nonexistent jobs, yay!), but I also have a deep love of abstract and rigorous math. So my thinking is that mathematical physics might be a good fit for a PhD, but I still wouldn't mind working in Astrophysics or any of the almost innumerable fields of physics.

So I'm curious if I can potentially work in accelerator physics with a nuclear physics degree, for example. I get that individuals with an actual PhD in that specific specialty probably will get a certain job over me, but I'd like to know if I would be automatically excluded from consideration. I am curious from the perspective of many different possible employment situations as well (academia, national lab, observatory, private industry, etc).

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
In addition, is it possible to simply earn a physics PhD, instead of a specific field like "solid-state physics"?

One's PhD is, at least in the US, usually designated only by department - for example, mine say "Doctor of Philosophy, as recommended by the Department of Physics". However, your dissertation is in some subfield, and that's where your expertise will lie. If you studied, say, theoretical nuclear physics, and there was a position open for an expert on experimental thin films, there is nothing precluding you from applying, but that doesn't mean you will be the most qualified candidate.

So it is primarily about what your main thesis was regarding? What if you have publications in other areas, would that increase your visibility in those respective fields? Granted, it would probably be difficult to engage research in multiple sub-fields while pursuing a PhD.

I received my PhD in experimental condensed matter physics, and I later on switched field and went into Accelerator Physics.

I have seen a lot of people who received their degree/Phds in one area, and went on to do well in other areas.

You need to keep in mind that, especially in experimental work, your "expertise" covers a wide area of applicability. Just because I made thin films of superconductors to study its tunneling spectroscopy doesn't mean that the skills that I acquired in producing those thin films are only limited to making superconductors. I can use that skill to fabricate all kinds of films and material. It is why I strongly emphasize students learn a lot of skills during their academic years. These skills often go beyond just the narrow confines of one's area of study!

Zz.

Most people find it hard enough to gain expertise in one subfield while finishing their Ph.D., let alone two.

After you have established yourself somewhere, it is possible to branch out or shift over to a different field. While I was finishing my Ph.D. in experimental particle physics, my advisor started to shift over to biophysics by spending part of his time working with a colleague in our department. As the experiment that we had been working on wound down (after I left), he spent more time doing biophysics, and eventually ended up doing that exclusively.

ZapperZ said:
I received my PhD in experimental condensed matter physics, and I later on switched field and went into Accelerator Physics.

This is actually a great example, because I've read that employment in Accelerator Physics is in high demand, unlike Astrophysics. I'd rather do something physics related than a field that is completely unrelated.

jtbell said:
After you have established yourself somewhere, it is possible to branch out or shift over to a different field.

By establish yourself, do you mean doing postdoctoral positions for some time? Probably producing publications as well, I'm guessing.

It's definitely possible, but not easy. I know of someone who did a PhD in theoretical physics, in string theory, and then went on to do post-docs in condensed matter experiment.

Maybe this student started out in CME and switched to string theory so he/or she may have had past experience? Anyways I think if you highlight your skill set well enough you can certainly apply for positions outside of your subfield.

Zz's experience is worth looking at - to move subfields, two things needed to happen: it had to be a subfield that had room, and he had to have learned something relevant to the new field, like the ability to make photocathodes. This is a very different thing that getting a PhD in formal, mathematical theory and then trying to find a job in a crowded field.

And you won't have the time or the ability to publish in multiple subfields when pursuing a PhD. It will be plenty of work with just one subfield.

Well, I thank all of you for your advice and input. Truthfully, I'm still an undergrad, so it is pretty early to worry about this kinda of stuff. In the end, I'll probably go with what excites me and say to hell with the consequences. I am taking some engineering classes as well though, to give myself the possibility of either double major in physics/engineering or double major in math/physics, earn a master's in engineering and then earn a doctorate in some sub-field of physics I enjoy (I think that's feasible based on what I've read). I do know one non-physics career I wouldn't mind working in though. I've heard that companies like Google often hire people with math heavy backgrounds to code. I wouldn't mind being a code monkey (although Microsoft is the embodiment of all that is evil). Starting next semester, I plan on taking a few extra CS courses to get some formal CS theory. Unfortunately, I don't think I could ever work in finance (I have a theft record from when I was a stupid kid), but I never was interested in finance anyways. One class of economics was enough to squash any chance of being interested in social sciences.

stardust said:
This is actually a great example, because I've read that employment in Accelerator Physics is in high demand, unlike Astrophysics. I'd rather do something physics related than a field that is completely unrelated.

I don't know if jobs in accelerator physics are in high demand compared to astrophysics, but there aren't a whole lot of jobs in the field desperate to be filled or anything like that. However, if you get into the right school for graduate work (that is associated with a national lab, usually) there is some interesting mathematics involved in accelerator physics, like non-linear motion. There are a few guys that come to mind who's work is very mathematically oriented, so that might be possible.

1. Is a physicist limited in their career options with a PhD in a specific field?

While a PhD in a specific field of physics does provide a deeper understanding and expertise in that area, it does not limit a physicist's career options. Many physicists with a specialized PhD go on to work in related fields or even branch out into interdisciplinary roles.

2. Can a physicist change their research focus after completing a PhD?

Yes, a physicist can change their research focus after completing a PhD. While the PhD may have been focused on a specific topic, it provides a strong foundation and skills that can be applied to a range of research areas.

3. Are there opportunities for a physicist to collaborate with those in other fields?

Absolutely. In fact, interdisciplinary collaboration is becoming increasingly common in the scientific community. A physicist with a specialized PhD may have the opportunity to work with researchers in other fields to tackle complex problems and advance scientific knowledge.

4. Are there additional training or education opportunities for a physicist after obtaining a PhD?

Yes, there are many opportunities for a physicist to continue their education and training after obtaining a PhD. This can include postdoctoral positions, specialized workshops and courses, and even pursuing a second PhD in a related or different field.

5. Can a physicist with a specialized PhD work in industry or government positions?

Yes, many physicists with specialized PhDs work in industry or government positions. These roles often require a deep understanding and expertise in a specific area of physics, making those with specialized PhDs highly sought after by employers.