Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is a Pseudo-Wavefunction Really a Mixed State?

1. Aug 28, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I'm studying pseudopotentials right now, and I had an epiphany that the pseudo-wavefunction is really mixed-state of the original Hamiltonian. Has anyone ever thought about a pseudo-wavefunction that way? Just curious.

modey3

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2009 #2
    I'm don't think that's correct. Pseudopotentials remove nodes that are near the core, so a pseudopotential for Nb (say) will have 4d valence states, however the 4d states will not have a node near the core so they really will look like 3d states. I don't think you can accomplish elimination of a node by mixing states with n > 4.

4. Aug 29, 2009 #3
    kanato,

If you take the overlap integral between the pseduo-wavefunction and a particular all-electron valence and the core wavefunctions you get non-zero terms. This means that the pseudo wavefunction can be represented as a sum of core-states and the valence states each scaled by their overlaps with the pseduo-wavefunction. The OPW-method does this.

5. Aug 29, 2009 #4
    Sure, there's non-zero overlap, but I am unconvinced as to whether the all-electron basis is "complete enough" to represent the pseudo-wavefunction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook