Is a tabletop search for Planck scale signals feasible

In summary, Beckenstein's paper discusses a design for a sensitive seismometer that could potentially enable detection of vibrations on the Planck length scale, which are not thermal in nature. However, there are some potential issues with the proposed experiment that need to be considered.
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This paper - http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.3816 - by Beckenstein is fascinating. I would like to know if the experimental test proposal is realistic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool! He seems to discuss thermal vibration transmitted through atoms of gas, photons, and thermal contact through the fiber. However, he doesn't seem to discuss non-thermal sources of vibration. Hasn't he simply designed the world's most sensitive seismometer? These vibrations aren't thermal in nature, and can't be eliminated by cooling. I don't understand the last section of paragraph II, which seems to be addressing something related to this. The first two sentences don't seem to be connected logically to the rest of the paragraph.

This seems very similar to what LIGO does, but they're still measuring displacements many, many orders of magnitude above the Planck scale. I guess the big difference is that Bekenstein's design involves time intervals that are short (e.g., compared to the time between hits by atoms of gas), whereas LIGO uses time intervals that are long, so they're in the business of averaging out the thermal fluctuations.

In his discussion of vacuum, he says that He is what you'd choose to use, because the low mass is more favorable. But when you're trying to achieve high vacuum, you don't necessarily get to choose what gas it is you're pumping out. Different types of vacuum pumps work differently (e.g., cryopumps get rid of stuff that condenses, turbopumps work on everything). I've never worked with high vacuum at this level, and I don't know what techniques they use. But I suspect that you might be dealing with a lot of high-molecular-mass gunk such as finger grease or stuff that outgasses from various surfaces, which also might be high in molecular mass.

Last edited:
But I suspect that you might be dealing with a lot of high-molecular-mass gunk such as finger grease or stuff that outgasses from various surfaces, which also might be high in molecular mass.
I would expect mainly hydrogen in the vacuum, as it can diffuse through other materials easily. It is the dominant contribution in the LHC vacuum, for example.

Hasn't he simply designed the world's most sensitive seismometer?
If the accelerations are slow, it might not matter.I think the general assumption there that photon transmission depends on the displacement is very speculative, even if that displacement is of the order of the Planck length.

Tabletop Measurement of Quantum Foam

Here's an idea put forth for measuring the existence of Quantum Foam by use of a tabletop apparatus:

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/507691/how-to-measure-quantum-foam-with-a-tabletop-experiment/#comments

Does this idea seem sound enough? Or are there any mistakes in its premise?

Chronos said:
This paper - http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.3816 - by Beckenstein is fascinating. I would like to know if the experimental test proposal is realistic.

Bee Hossenfelder comments on the paper here:
http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2012/11/is-tabletop-search-for-planck-scale.html

Bee is a recognized expert in quantum gravity phenomenology and has organized 3 international conferences on the experimental search for QG effects. She is familiar with the main QG models and can judge whether the proposed experiment actually would test any of them.

There was also a blog entry at the MIT Technology Review website. It doesn't say who the author was and it doesn't sound as if the author knows anything about actual QG theories---the blog post impresses me as being somewhat on the vague, naive side.
http://www.technologyreview.com/view/507691/how-to-measure-quantum-foam-with-a-tabletop-experiment/#comments

EDIT: I see sanman has already given a pointer to the TechReview blog post. The short answer would be to read Bee's post.

Last edited:

1. What is a tabletop search for Planck scale signals?

A tabletop search for Planck scale signals is a scientific research method that involves using laboratory equipment, such as lasers and detectors, to search for signals that may indicate the existence of the Planck scale. The Planck scale is the smallest scale at which the laws of physics can be applied and is a crucial concept in theories of quantum gravity.

2. Why is it important to search for Planck scale signals?

Searching for Planck scale signals is important because it can help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics and potentially lead to the development of a theory of quantum gravity. It can also provide insights into the nature of space, time, and matter at the smallest scales.

3. How feasible is a tabletop search for Planck scale signals?

Currently, a tabletop search for Planck scale signals is not feasible due to technological limitations. The required energy and precision to detect these signals are beyond the capabilities of current laboratory equipment. However, with advancements in technology, it may become more feasible in the future.

4. What are the challenges in conducting a tabletop search for Planck scale signals?

One of the main challenges in conducting a tabletop search for Planck scale signals is the extremely small scales involved. The Planck scale is about 10^-35 meters, which is much smaller than current experimental capabilities. Another challenge is the high energy required to produce and detect these signals, which may not be attainable with current technology.

5. What are the potential implications of a successful tabletop search for Planck scale signals?

A successful tabletop search for Planck scale signals could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could provide evidence for the existence of the Planck scale and help bridge the gap between quantum mechanics and general relativity. It could also potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.