Is an engineering degree worth going into depression for?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Atoweha
  • Start date
Anyone have any suggestions to what i should do for this semester? withdraw/ then redo without gpa effect or fail/redo with gpa effect and then having 1 MP less to finnish my degree in 5 years?
Hey Atoweha,

I think you there are several important decisions that you need to take. And I think first things first I may give my two cents about withdrawal or not.

As the way I see; getting an F is 5 classes will significantly bring down your GPA, so the best option I think is to withdraw.

If I understand correctly; the only potential trade off you may see from the other option is that you can finish your degree in 5 years, but with a lowers GPA; if the difference between both options is only one semester, then still the first option would be better; to withdraw from the classes.

Perhaps others can give their input here. But the way I see it; finishing with a higher GPA in 5.5 or even 6 years is better than finishing in 5 years with 5 Fs on the transcripts which will lower the GPA significantly. I'm almost sure in the academic and/or in professional market palce they won't care about how long it took you to finish your degree if it's not too long of a period, as they understand that people may have other life demands such as health issues or famliy commitments that may need attention while they're studing their majors.

P.S.: I have been in a very similar problems regarding my major, the way my family see things, and also regarding withdrawals (I have withdrawn comepletely from one semester, and a couple of other classes, it was the best option and I never regretted this). But I'll get back to other points in your original post later.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thank you for replying everyone.
I have been thinking it and think it is the fact that i have little to no social life at college. I go to a small tech college (illinois institute of technology) where most kids go home over the weekend or they enjoy sitting in their room playing world of warcraft. I have dealt with an antisocial school for 2 years and i think that it is getting to me now.
I am a very social person and and enjoy talking to people, where as the students here dont seem to want to do much of that. But, when to do socialize, they seem to talk about nothing but math, science, and their other engineering courses, which i can not do since i am not THAT interested in engineering.
I have tried to transfer out to a bigger state college but my gpa wasnt above the 3.0 mark (which i think is the national cutoff point for any engineering transfers into any college.)

and I have a 2nd quetsion:
The official deadline to drop courses is Monday, November 1st, as of right now i am failing all 5 of my courses, 4 of them being engineering related (instrumentation lab, Dynamics, Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics). On top of that i am already behind 3 classes (which i dropped over the last 4 semesters.
Should I:
1. continue to take the courses and learn as much as i can and end up failing them and then retaking them next semester, all the Fs would be replaced with a new grade so my GPA would go up, but the Fs would stand in my transcript.
2. or shoud i withdraw for this semester, that way my GPA would not be affected, also I would have time taken off for my 5 years to get my degree. (PS, i wonder what happens if you take more than 5 years to complete your degree in engineering)

If i failed my semester, i would be a whole year behind my degree, that way i would not be allowed to drop any of my classes for the remainder of my time here at college (including Upper Junior and All senior level classes.)

Thanks.
Fyi: November 1st is Tuesday :smile:.

Fyi: November 1st is Tuesday :smile:.
Whoops meant the 31st :D

I've seen family members and friends in the same situation as you. One bad enough she took a leap, lived, got help, and has been fine for decades. Get under the care of a doctor ASAP ASAP ASAP ASAP and do what the doctor tells you to do. You will be fine, but you can't fight academic, family, depression battles, etc. at once, at least not for long.

When it comes to a degree, screw what the family wants. It's your life. It's not unusual to change your degree in college (almost normal, I think). I change from Chem Eng to Rad/Nuc Physics in undergrad. My girl friend in college 30 plus years ago changed so many times she ended up with a major in Chem, Bio, Math, and Physics graduating a year late ON PURPOSE, so she could finish all the majors (lol, and kept a 4.0 GPA). My wife (diff gf) changed degrees more than I can think of at the moment. Think about the things you have a knack for and will earn you a living. Enjoy life.

First, please get serious help. In my experience, it will take more than drugs. You need to talk to a trained professional that can work you through whatever ends up being your root issue. FWIW, it worked for 100% of my family and friends that had issues like yours. No guaranties, but sticking it out means more of the same. Remember, once definition of lunacy is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

If you're failing and have no way to pass, drop the classes. That's a no brainer.

After you drop, keep going to class / taking notes, and even sitting the exams -- this will give you stuff to study from when you have to retake the classes later -- same teacher, similar hw / exam questions / etc. Plus, you will be familiar with the material when you see it a second time, hopefully making it easier the second time through.

Keep seeing your psychiatrist and keep talking about your feelings. I am seeing a Portland psychiatrist for depression as well. I am going through a divorce and it has been a long, sad road that got us to this point. I have found that talking to someone (non family) has been extremely helpful so keep going!

lisab's statement makes no mention of her opinion as to whether or not medication is appropriate or not, yours does. No double standard.
I'm not sure about this. In particular

But it seems obvious where your problems are stemming from if you say your parents will think you are a failure unless
is the only actual case where I see there is a definitive statement as to where this poster thinks the problems are coming from. Still, the poster says it's where the problems seem to come from, leaving room for individual verification.

Note the following:

The way I see it, there are two independent issues here.
But if you choose not to, you should recognize you're making a difficult task (earning an engineering degree) much, much more difficult.
The first statement is certainly an opinion concerning the diagnosis of depression being valid or not.

These two posters express opinions on two different topics. The first expresses an opinion that the parents' reaction seems to be at the heart of the problems. The second expresses an opinion that the depression issue is an independent problem, and that not treating the depression will make things difficult.

Neither really states whether the medication should be taken in an absolute sense. In fact, johng23 is merely suggesting that taking the medication will not solve emotional issues, but is technically leaving it up for opinion whether or not the medication should be taken.

I don't think either poster is really especially in the wrong here. And I don't think there's something wrong with what either of them said, unless they take their opinions to be facts.

I am sure you mean well here, but it might not be appropriate to advise someone regarding medications.
Is it clearly better or worse to advise someone on whether or not they have depression?

If you know in advance that you should not be giving advice, again, why advise? The intent of this forum is clearly to receive advice from persons who are in a good position to give it
With due respect, who IS in the position to give advice on psychological issues? It is almost always a judgement call for the individual based on various opinions. Whether someone with a degree in psychiatry or not, the key is to give various possibilities rather than trying to make the conclusion for the person involved.

If your intent is to stop people who don't know the answer from making definitive claims, perhaps nobody should be making definitive claims whatsoever on a topic like this.

To be quite honest, like others have said, this does not really seem like the right forum to ask. This isn't really an engineering specific problem, and more like a psychological issue. But I think the general advice that if you think engineering is what's causing your depression, obviously you shouldn't do it. It's only gonna get tougher after school. Don't think your life is over just because you can't be an engineer. The correlation between happiness and money earned is very very low.

Just one person's experience, but I used to have a pretty good paying job as a poker player. However, I reached a point where I hated doing it and eventually quit. I am now much happier as a broke student again. If you think you would have happier doing something else obviously do that.

I just read the topic here on this thread. I didn't even read your post or any of the responses (though I'm about to have a look). But before I even start reading, my knee-jerk response is "no."

(Just had a read. I think if you strongly suspect that the school situation is the root of your problems, I'd suggest getting out of there ASAP; be that getting out of the program, or getting out of school completely. And damn what other people think, always try to put your own needs far [very far] above the expectations of others).

I would like to tell you that I'm also experiencing almost the same thing as you are.. I'm in first year of engineering, no major yet, and I'm quitting on Monday. I can't handle the mental pressure that I'm getting from school. The workloads are so heavy and I totally don't know what I'm doing.. Though I'm quitting on Monday, I'm not actually quitting the whole engineering thing.I tried thinking about getting some other courses but it doesn't work out.. I still want engineering so I'm gonna try again next year by God's grace.
What I'm saying is, it is important to search within yourself if you really want it. If you're sure about engineering but you're getting depressed because you're unsatisfied with the grades you're getting then it might be a good idea to stop for a moment. Go to someplace, have a vacation, discover whatever things that may help you get back your interest and passion for engineering again :) It's important for a person to enjoy what he's doing.

I'm not good in physics, nor chem nor math and English (not really my first languange) but I love challenges. it may sound weird coming from a person who's quitting but if you really want something, you wouldn't let yourself get broken from this situation.. you gotta get yourself back in shape :)

Be yourself. be positive. Don't just pour your whole life in engineering. have some fun too. spend time with your family or friends. get a new hobby. Distract yourself sometimes :)

Never ever consider yourself a failure.. you're a learner.. not a failure.

I hope this helps.
Praying for your success in engineering :) and I'm sure you will succeed.

*hope the smileys won't freak u out and say that I'm gay.. I'm a gal just to let u know :) haha.

I decided to stick with engineering, I Transferred schools, which was a really good decision on my part.
Now im only about 1.5 years away from graduating and my grades are improving, even though I still am uninterested in the material.

1) if your not happy with something in YOUR life, change it

2)Don't let how other people think of you influence you

So, if you Don't like engineering then stop. It's not giving up, or failing. I don't get why people think if you do something and change your mind, then automatically you fail.

What's wrong with quitting something if your not happy?
(btw I only read original post)
I think the number one thing is to not be afraid of how people will look at you. Don't base your decisions on the judgment of others ESPECIALLY parents. It is YOUR life. Just remember that, don't let other ppl live it for you

(btw I only read original post)
It's understandable to not read the entire thread, but at least read the post directly above yours. :wink:

I decided to stick with engineering, I Transferred schools, which was a really good decision on my part.
Now im only about 1.5 years away from graduating and my grades are improving, even though I still am uninterested in the material.
Great to hear.

I would stick it out. When you are finished you can look for some kind of graduate degree that interests you. Engineering and a graduate degree in something else is a good combination - knowledge of Engineering is always useful because even if you don't use it; getting a job in a firm that does that type of thing will give you a better appreciation of the business.

I did a combined degree in Applied Math and Computer Science but did it part time while working in a public service agency. I went to work as a programmer, again in the public service, but the feedback I got is the users simply loved me - and evidently that was very unusual. I put it down to my background in knowing where they were coming from.

Thanks
Bill